Bike maintenance (using the choke / adjusting chain tension

Guest Buckinghamshire_Rider7

I am new to biking and just bought my first bike (Keeway RKV 125cc) I have a few questions:

1) My bike has a carburettor therefore, sometimes I will have to use the choke. How do I use the choke properly? Can I leave it on all the time?

2) How often should I adjust the chain of my bike (I mainly use it for commuting to work within the city I live) should I adjust it once a week? Once a month? Etc

If it's cold outside then use the choke to start the bike. It may need full or half choke to start. If you start the bike with full choke, switch it to half choke straight away. I let my bike warm up on half choke then switch it of just before I ride away. If it's really hot you may not need the choke to start the bike.

You may have to adjust the chain if it is new as it will stretch slightly but after it's broken in you won't have to adjust it that often, just if it appears slack. You do want to lubricate the chain fairly often though. If you have ridden in the rain then you should clean it and lubricate it, there's lots of chain lubes out there :)

Get into the habit of cleaning your bike weekly and whilst doing that clean and lube your chain.

Also check the chain and adjust when needed.

If you don't already have tools look at buying a socket set and some spanners (combination ones are what I reccomend personally)

Using those tools rather than the ones that come with the bike to do your chain as they will be better quality than the bike tool kit.

Not sure if you even would get a tool kit with your bike as I'm assuming it's Chinese or one of those countries that produce cheaper bikes.

If Haynes or Clymer do one buy a manual for your bike as usually there's a fair bit of useful info in them

regarding simple maintance.

Agree with the above. I will add never leave the choke on longer than you need. Apart from running rich and burning more fuel it will be like trying to stop with the throttle twisted open. Can be difficult to control and dangerous.

Chain adjusting depends on quality of chain and how you ride the bike. Also, as has been said how often you lube it.

Use the choke when the engine is cold then slowly turn the choke off.

Check chain slack when you remember. You don't have to adjust it that often and only when there's more than around 35mm of slack in the middle. Check the slack when you're/ someone else is sitting in the bike because you'll get a better reading.

Agree with above, Mine is a carb i wish i had injection start and go almost but hey ho.. I tend to start it up on full choke let it run a few seconds then drop down to hover around 2-3 k revs while i get my kit on.