My employer is a D*c*

matt6950

So as some of you know I came of my bike broke my wrist in 3 places and couldn't work I ended up having surgery on my arm and had 7 weeks off. During that time a manager done something to his foot his was sports related and had 3 weeks off we both came back today.

Whist doing my return to work the store manager turns round and says I do have to warn you that you put a lot of stress on the team by coming off your bike when it could have been avoided and that you was just going to fast and (I was doing the speed limit) was just being careless and a bit reckless. and members of staff had to do extra shifts and it caused a lot of stress just because you was careless then to top it of we had frank off with his leg which was sports related which well was sports related.

so what he just said there was the other guys foot couldn't be avoided and he said nothing like this to the other guy apart from he told him that he had this chat with me as the other guy is a assistant manager. I just went with it. He said that he doesn't think biking is for me and that I shouldn't get back on the bike etc

I spoke to the members of staff that covered my shifts and they where happy for the extra hours.

But he was basically blaming me for coming off the bike and that it was avoidable. Trust me if I could have avoided coming off and braking my wrist in 3 places then I would have. he then spends the better part of the day tearing apart the work I do. Trying to change my method of doing things that i've been doing for the past year. Then the icing on the cake was we was facing up and he basically tells me i'm doing a bad job at that then mentions how a 10kg bag needs to be moved over there and walks off knowing full well I can't lift it. I have now lost all respect and trust in my store manager. if I didn't need the job I would leave.

in all a really cr*p day at work. I don't know if I can report him for this or what.

So a "store manager"?

So you work for a large company then?

Put in a grievance to the area manager detailing everything

If no joy with that then write to head office

This is why we still need unions.

Keep a diary of every conversation you deem to be of a derogatory nature.

Go on the unite website. You will find information concerning bullying.

Also your company must have a bullying policy, look it up and study it.

If your not part of a trade union then get in one and use them they will help and give you advice and even stand in interviews etc with you

This.

I had a serious issue with a manager years ago, joined a union, and they promptly nailed his dick to the desk.

It's dirt cheap to join, you are legally entitled to be a member of a union, and are under no obligation to disclose it if you don't want to. :thumb:

USDAW look after retail. Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers.

Speaking from many years in retail management, he could get his arse nailed to the wall for that. That is harrassment. He has no justification for judging your blame in any road traffic accident.

ps. You don't work for that well know Cooperative company do you?

Once in the union.

You need to contact the regional officer. He/she will be able to advise accordingly.

No matter what your work tells you, you have a legal right to join a union. Whether your work recognises them or not.

Hey,

Sounds like the treatment I got while working for that supermarket with the big 'M'.

Pulled my back at the gym and couldn't walk for 3 days. When i rang in sick i was told i should take painkillers and come in. When i said that wasnt going to happen i was told in no uncertain terms 'be back tommorow'. I took the week off.

While having my 'Back to work' interview I was told I shouldn't be going to the gym anymore as it wasn't for me.....I told her what I do outside of work is not of her concern. This was from the HR manager!

They shouldn't speak to you like that but they do. To them your just another piece of replaceable meat. Report it and esculate it if necessary but look at getting out!

The final straw for me was been told to put a load of blue plasters on my shaving rash Lol Bearing in mind I worked in the admin office. When i told my manager not to be stupid and she couldnt make me wear them she chucked me out the office lol A month later I was working in a proper job for a proper company.

Shaun.

Now thankfully retired

Was a manager for big company

Had a guy who went through massive breakdown he was off for 12 months and I was told to discipline him .

Same time another chap recovering from throat cancer and was informed to do same or risk my employment.

Fortunately I found they took no action to a person in another county and different work stream who's transgender op went wrong and had a lot of time off

I did the biggest flounce to area director and HR threatened that my Union was ready for taking issue re my two lads and mysen

Got the result I wanted but somehow never hit my bonus targets fron then till my retirement.

But f**k them I maintained my soul

Being on the receiving end of this sort of treatment can be very stressful, but get yourself a good union rep and let them have a taste of their own medicine.

I was in a situation some years ago where a manager with an appalling reputation in a related industry joined our company, and immediately set about destroying the team. He bullied and harassed one of my junior colleagues so badly that he resigned, but not before I'd had words with him about his unacceptable behaviour. Naturally enough I suppose, he started on me next.

I joined Amicus (now Unite) and initiated a grievance procedure. What followed over the subsequent weeks was pure farce, and in retrospect was hysterically funny. I was told I couldn't launch a grievance procedure because the company didn't have one; then I was told that I didn't have any employment rights because they had deliberately not given me a contract (I'd been there five years at the time); then I was told that my manager would hear my grievance and decide what action to take, which I pointed out was rather like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas; then my boss's line manager phoned me at home and told me that I'd drop the grievance if I knew what was good for me, and then offered me a handsome bribe when I refused to play ball. I thanked him for his call, reported it to my union rep and added him to the grievance.

Eventually we got as far as having a grievance hearing, and to say I ran rings around my boss would be a massive understatement. As the colleague I took in with me as a witness later remarked, after I towed him out into deep water and torpedoed him below the waterline for about the fifth time you'd think he'd have got better at spotting the danger. In the end I got him to admit - and have the minutes record - that he lacked even the basic interpersonal skills essential for his role, that his entire campaign against me had been motivated by personal inadequacy, and finally and most gloriously, that he was either dishonest or incompetent but he wasn't sure which.

At the end of the meeting I told him that if I passed this on to my union he would be finished, because not even the senior management were dumb enough to go into a tribunal to defend someone against charges they have already admitted. I restated my initial position, which was that all I wanted was a formal apology and retraction of his comments, and an undertaking to behave properly in future. Arrogant to the last, he said he'd see me in the tribunal. He was fired for gross incompetence the next day.

The upshot was I got his job and his company car, and even found a quid under the seat when I cleaned it :lol:

Edited by MarkW

Being on the receiving end of this sort of treatment can be very stressful, but get yourself a good union rep and let them have a taste of their own medicine.

I was in a situation some years ago where a manager with an appalling reputation in a related industry joined our company, and immediately set about destroying the team. He bullied and harassed one of my junior colleagues so badly that he resigned, but not before I'd had words with him about his unacceptable behaviour. Naturally enough I suppose, he started on me next.

I joined Amicus (now Unite) and initiated a grievance procedure. What followed over the subsequent weeks was pure farce, and in retrospect was hysterically funny. I was told I couldn't launch a grievance procedure because the company didn't have one; then I was told that I didn't have any employment rights because they had deliberately not given me a contract (I'd been there five years at the time); then I was told that my manager would hear my grievance and decide what action to take, which I pointed out was rather like asking turkey's to vote for Christmas; then my boss's line manager phoned me at home and told me that I'd drop the grievance if I knew what was good for me, and then offered me a handsome bribe when I refused to play ball. I thanked him for his call, reported it to my union rep and added him to the grievance.

Eventually we got as far as having a grievance hearing, and to say I ran rings around my boss would be a massive understatement. As the colleague I took in with me as a witness later remarked, after I towed him out into deep water and torpedoed him below the waterline for about the fifth time you'd think he'd have got better at spotting the danger. In the end I got him to admit - and have the minutes record - that he lacked even the basic interpersonal skills essential for his role, that his entire campaign against me had been motivated by personal inadequacy, and finally and most gloriously, that he was either dishonest or incompetent but he wasn't sure which.

At the end of the meeting I told him that if I passed this on to my union he would be finished, because not even the senior management were dumb enough to go into a tribunal to defend someone against charges they have already admitted. I restated my initial position, which was that all I wanted was a formal apology and retraction of his comments, and an undertaking to behave properly in future. Arrogant to the last, he said he'd see me in the tribunal. He was fired for gross incompetence the next day.

The upshot was I got his job and his company car, and even found a quid under the seat when I cleaned it [emoji38]

Superb.