Knocking sound fron the front end

Azen

Hi guys,

so when I am riding I am hearing a knocking sound that sounds like it is coming from the forks but as I am riding I'm not too sure. I have stopped and tested it but the sound only happens when i am riding. the stearing feels slight loose also when this is happeneing.

I have no idea what it could be or how to fix it!

Please help! :cry:

Check to see if you can feel any play in the front wheel (push/pull top/bottom) - If so, your wheel bearing is loose / worn.

Check to see if there is any play in the steering (Holding the front wheel still, can you move the handlebars?) - If so, this could be the forks, loose yolk, etc.

:cheers:

Check to see if you can feel any play in the front wheel (push/pull top/bottom) - If so, your wheel bearing is loose / worn.

Check to see if there is any play in the steering (Holding the front wheel still, can you move the handlebars?) - If so, this could be the forks, loose yolk, etc.

:cheers:

Cheers Grumpy,

if it's the steering, how would i fix it? (Only ask because i sort of have an idea how to fix the bearings)

If the bike has tapered bearings fitted they may just need adjusting.......easy enough to do, but you'd need to follow the instructions in a Haynes manual if you've never done it before...... :wink: :wink:

I might take the easy way out :D I was looking at youtube vids last night of how to do it and I don't think i have the equipment to do it (not a matter of not having the capability just no equipment :( )

give me a few bits of pipe and an arc welder and I could make a bike lol

I need a garage so i can buy tools!!! :D :D :D

I might take the easy way out :D I was looking at youtube vids last night of how to do it and I don't think i have the equipment to do it (not a matter of not having the capability just no equipment :( )

give me a few bits of pipe and an arc welder and I could make a bike lol

I need a garage so i can buy tools!!! :D :D :D

Really? Is yours not one of those castellated things? You should be able to tap that round with a screwdriver and hammer.

I hope so just need to get the right bearing now already got loads of stuff to buy I swear biking costs me a fortune!

ah well it's well worth it!!! :cheers:

i had the knocking from the front, it was a loose head stock bearing, new bearing sorted it out nicely.

got it dont when the forks were rebuilt ( i didnt want to do the forks so got the garage to do all of it )

Had the same problem on my sons 125 tightened up the head race castellated nut with screwdriver and hammer as Mr Fro suggested. Cured the problem .Later on i replaced the head race bearings.Only difficult bit was supporting bike [no centre stand] to remove front end,otherwise easy job just use plenty of grease.