Underwear!

After my first ride out on a big bike yesterday and only doing 25 miles, when I got back I found I was suffering a sweat issue. Bearing in mind it wasn't particularly warm yesterday, I am thinking when (if) the weather warms up and I've passed my test and doing more miles, what products do people recommend to resolve this delicate issue or at least lessen it??

After my first ride out on a big bike yesterday and only doing 25 miles, when I got back I found I was suffering a sweat issue. Bearing in mind it wasn't particularly warm yesterday, I am thinking when (if) the weather warms up and I've passed my test and doing more miles, what products do people recommend to resolve this delicate issue or at least lessen it??

Are you trying to tell us Betty paid you a visit or just general perspiration?

What/how much gear were you wearing? I don't know about anyone else (because I've not got that close to you lot) but cheap baselayers make me sweat like a pregnant nun - same goes for non-breathable waterproofs etc.

Breathable all the way! :-)

Are you trying to tell us Betty paid you a visit or just general perspiration?

What/how much gear were you wearing? I don't know about anyone else (because I've not got that close to you lot) but cheap baselayers make me sweat like a pregnant nun - same goes for non-breathable waterproofs etc.

Breathable all the way! :-)

Indeed she did! It was only that area I suffered the problem.

The area that suffered was just boxer shorts and jeans. Top half was getting a bit chilly if anything due to the cold wind.

I'm getting some RST jeans (not denim) soon and as I said I feel this problem will only get worse!

I don't suppose the heat from the bike helps much either- lot more heat on a 600 compared to a 125.

I don't really know what to suggest. ..

Maybe try a different style or material construction of boxer shorts? ?

I think we probably all sweat a bit but maybe your issue was more to do with nerves?

http://www.steeleridin.com/files/Images/mensleather/mens-lined-leather-chaps_1000x1000.gif

plus

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/2045731274_3/Outdoor-Sports-Motocross-Motorcycle-Accessories-Racing-Cycling-Professional-Protective-Gears-Kneepad-Legguards-Leg-Armor-Black.jpg

http://www.steeleridin.com/files/Images/mensleather/mens-lined-leather-chaps_1000x1000.gif

plus

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/2045731274_3/Outdoor-Sports-Motocross-Motorcycle-Accessories-Racing-Cycling-Professional-Protective-Gears-Kneepad-Legguards-Leg-Armor-Black.jpg

Oh myyyyy....

I don't generally get too hot. I wear leathers, no trousers underneath just my leathers, on top boxers and on top a T-shirt and my leather jacket. If it is cold I put the lining in the jacket.

Works for me.

Before i got my leathers last year my textile trousers were sooo warm it was horrid on a warm day, now with leathers they are cool enough with the vents for the warm weather and with baseblayers warm enough in the cold so maybe some leathers with breathable areas for your gents bits or just go commando, just bear in mind if something happens the paramedics love getting the scissors out and attacking your leather

The only time I really suffer is. I have a pair of them waterproof spada camo trousers with the thick thermal lining.

Perfect for when its cold in a morning. Coming home from work, you can get a little sweaty....

The leather trousers with the vents in are supurb though. If its above around 3 deg I tend to wear them with a base layer on underneath. .

Was out again today and didn't suffer the same problem. Mind you it was bloody cold and I was wearing different underwear. By that I mean different style- quite obviously a different pair from Monday!

I think I will play it by ear after I pass my test and get some experience of different conditions and adjust accordingly.

You have got it the right way up haven't you? Round rubbery bits on the ground, shiny bits facing upwards. :-)

Sounds silly, but are you riding with your pods right up against the tank? Maybe shuffle back a little if that's the case.

I used to be like you, was sweating just sitting on the bike when I started, things just improve with experience. Riding is very stressful when you've just started, stress makes you sweat. Just stick with it. oops er or use talc.

I did try and sit back a bit more today- maybe on Monday I was clinging a little bit!

riding a Yahama XJ6

That's the bike my local school are using so I'll be riding that too. Nice bike?

I used to sweat like crazy when I firt started riding too. Then a very kind young lady informed me that I had all of my thermal lining still in my clothing. :oops:

Seriously though bmwdave is right. It is nerve racking at first. After a while you'll relax and the sweats come only with the increase in temperature. Take your time. :cheers:

I did try and sit back a bit more today- maybe on Monday I was clinging a little bit!

riding a Yahama XJ6

That's the bike my local school are using so I'll be riding that too. Nice bike?

I have an XJ6. Brilliant bike, enjoy it.

Thermal Liners will do that, especially with "Budget Gear". Underwear such as that designed for sports are good at wicking sweat away. Just as important, get seamless underwear as after a few hours in the saddle even a thin ridge will cause you great discomfort.

I think the problem may have been nerves- after all it was my first time on the road on a bike for 30+ years and my first ever time on something so powerful! I was wearing thermals yesterday and had no problems at all.