Chinese motorcycle maintenance

Guest Buckinghamshire_Rider7

Hi,

I have a Chinese motorbike (Keeway rkv 125cc). I am just wondering how to maintain it I.e I am specifically concerned with preventing rust & keeping the chain lubricated. Is there one multipurpose product I can buy to address these issues?

Step 1) Ride to your local refuse center

Step 2) Turn the bike off and step off it

Step 3) leave the bike and catch a bus.

I kid, but seriously with mine i spent a lot of time working on it and still never kept it in that good nick.

First off get yourself a good cover for when it's not in use, rain is your arch nemesis.

Second if you have chrome, get some autosol and polish that shizzle, polish it reeeeeal good. Give it a nice protective layer of polish.

Third, get some ACF-50 and spray it on a cloth and wipe it over your engine and other metal parts (not brakes)

Fourth, clean the bike weekly get any salt, dirt,general crap off.

As for the chain, I have started using Parafin (B&Q £6 for 4 litres) and brush it on with a bristly brush and wipe it off with some rags, spot less. Then apply some lubricant everyone has their own preference, I still use muc-off dry chain lube. Before you apply it, warm the chain up by running it a little then spray it all over the o-rings and cover the lot. be careful it doesn't land on the wheel if it does get it off or you might slide about on the bike.

If you get rust, scrub it off and cover it early, it will only get worse.

I think that covers it all.. Good luck is all i can say.

No one miracle product for both, I'm afraid to say. But I've got a reasonable amount of experience with keeping the rust at bay on a Chinese bike, so here are my recommendations:

For keeping the rust at bay, your best bet is to give it a good and thorough clean (get rid of any existing rust) and then spray it with ACF50 or a similar product (but not on the chain/brakes/tires!). Won't keep it rust free forever, you'll need to redo the clean and spray process every now and then, but it's a lot better than having to thoroughlt clean it and wipe it with WD40 several times a week! Well worth it. Make sure you do the underside of the frame, or that'll rot something nasty.

For the chain, I personally like using Muc-Off's chain cleaner and chain lube. But whichever brand you go for, give the chain a good blast of the chain cleaner, let the worst run off, dry it with a cloth, leave it a bit to dry completely, then blast it with the chain lube. Check the tension while you're there. This is a lot less hassle than it sounds; on many occasions I've arrived home from work, made a coffee, and cleaned and adjusted the chain before the coffee went cold. The more you do it, the quicker you get at it.

I'm sure that someone will recommend a Scottoiler, but to be honest that might be overkill for a Chinese bike. If there's even a compatible one available, that is!

I'm sure that someone will recommend a Scottoiler, but to be honest that might be overkill for a Chinese bike. If there's even a compatible one available, that is!

If you feel the need to do this, Buy it, send it to me i will give you my address :D with cans of chain cleaner (These can add up eventually hence i use paraffin) the process does take no time at all, just get either a paddock stand or something to hold the bike up. i have a wheel spinner i used to use on my chinese bike it worked alright though a bit stiff. If you're interested you can have it for a little fee + postage cost me about £20 brand new.

My kymco is doing ok at the mo, but technically its not chinese.

i gave my bike a good coat of acf50 after everywash every few months

chain every 2 weeks it gets a blast from wd40 while on a stand, then using brake cleaner... allow it to dry then apply watever lube you fancy

hopefully i will have traded up before next winter

Best maintenance for a Chinese bike is, ride it to some waste ground, accidentally disconnect the fuel line, allow fuel to dribble all over the bike and into a large puddle underneath it , then accidentally create a spark very close to the spilt fuel. Make sure you are fully insured first though! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comments. I will buy some parrafin to use as a cleaner then some lubricant from a motorcycle shop.

After doing some online research it seems that some people use engine oil as a lubricant, has anyone tried this?

I will also buy some acf50 spray to hopefully prevent rust as I am relying on my motorcycle cover at the moment but this occasionally gets blown of in strong wind.

There's a company called "all weather biker" who operate around the UK that intensively clean your bike for around £60 but I've never used them before!