External Bike Cover - Oxford Rainex

A Heavy Sake Jar

Oxford Rainex Cover, (large for a CBR1000f)

Price= £60(ish) - price varies according to size purchased.

Bought 12month ago

Good points:

The cover is used every day/night on a bike parked out side. It has kept the bike dry and has never blown off or blown my bike over.

It has kept the bike dry and in good condition over the last winter, which included moderate to heavy snow. (I’m sure people will say it snowed more back in my day).

The cover has a soft lining which is designed to prevent scratching of paint. It also has heat resistant material to prevent melting. Both features have worked as intended.

The seams are taped to prevent leakage.

There are loop holes (eyelets) at both ends of the bike where security chains, cables etc can be thread through the wheels. There are also pockets where you can store the padlock to keep it off the ground. My personal preferance is to thread both ends of the chain through each loophole / eyelet so that it keeps the lock under the cover. More effort involved but certainly keeps the lock dry, off the ground and in better condition.

I have not encountered any issues of condensation or moisture on the bike and it has stood up to heavy down pours of rain, snow and pools of water. The cover also protected the bike in heavy hail storms.

There are ventilation flaps on each side of the bike. I have not gone out of my way to open these up in hot or cold wet weather. So technically I cant say they work, but like I say, I havent had condensation or moisture on the bike.

There is elastic around the bottom and an adjustable belly strap to keep it tight. If you really wanted the bees knees, it could do with another adjustable belly strap just infront of the rear wheel. But thats my opinion, and may not better the product....

It has performed well under the English sun and remained in good condition. No cracking or perishing of the material.

There is a pouch for a solar battery panel with wire access holes. (I’ve not used this).

The cover dries quickly and nearly all the water can be shaken off before hanging up to dry.

It even folds back up to fit in its original plastic case.

Bad points,

I have noted that the tape on the seams that run directly over the side mirrors are slightly lifting. I’ll see if this causes problems over the coming winter. all other seam tapes are firmly glued and intact.

But this is the only bad point about this cover.

Recommendation.

I dont know what the additional benefits the Oxford Stormex has over the Oxford Rainex, but if you want a reliable bike cover that does the job all year round, then I recommend the Oxford Rainex.

• 4 months later...