Suspension setup.

MR_W

Anyone used JHS Racing near Bristol? Seems they do suspension setup from £35. Is that cheap, do they do a good job and I think the question I know the answer too, is it worth doing even just for road riding on the gsxr 750?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

is it cheap? I wouldnt say so

not when you can do your own research and figure it all out for yourself

the problem you have with bikes is they are usually undersprung and the damping is crap compared to what you can get

they are made relatively cheap and tolerances aren't that great so you can end up with suspesion that sort of works but it may not work for you and your weight

you need to start by setting your sag this is the most important bit and if you can reach the desired sag with the springs you have then you need to upgrade the springs for your weight

rebound and compression can then be dialled in

starting with the stock settings is the way to go and write each adjustment as you go too

Is it worth doing? hell yes!

the question is what are you suffering with?

I don't have the feel for what the road is doing underneath me is how it seems. When I had my 125cc learning on the Devon lanes I could judge grip very easily as I got on with the response the bike gave me.

It almost feels like I am going to wash out the front, even at low speeds. The bike is the first in 13 years to make me feel like that. I can't rule out the thing scares the shit out of me though and it's all in my mind.

I will check your links, I do appear to have a slight chicken feel on messing too much myself with the bike. Give me a computer any day.

I do have Bridgestone on atm.... and I haven't trusted them since about 2009 as a brand.

Sadly I can't afford to just replace them as my daughter is a week old and I think my death by OH would be fairly swift.

I use Michelin on the car and love them.

As I can't replace the tyres till I burn through them I'll read through your posts and see if I can work out what I can try suspension wise.

Suspect I also need to get my head out of a rut too and stop thinking so much.

Cheers stu, always worth having chaps like you about.

personally I would fiddle with your suspension and save the £35 to go towards tyres :lol:

also play with tyre pressure too when I had my gixxer it was very sensitive to tyre pressures!

I did think would playing with tyre pressures help. Don't know why I didn't just ask it...

£35 will probably go on Gin instead.

personally I would fiddle with your suspension and save the £35 to go towards tyres :lol:

also play with tyre pressure too when I had my gixxer it was very sensitive to tyre pressures!

Best thing I did to my Gixxer was to swap out the front forks for a set with uprated Kais performance springs which were weighted for my weight rather than an anorexic Japanese midget.

The stiffer front made it handle much better through the turns.

Id set the sag at home first, if you cant get it to the correct amount then your just wasting £35 because you need different springs.

And jap bikes aren't sprung for porkie Brits so good chance of that.

The shoulders on your front tyre may be worn, which gives a feeling like it's going to wash out.....my PR4's are starting to feel like that, even though they're nowhere near the wear indicators.... :wink:

I'm not that porkie... I hope.

Only got the bike last June and not put even 2000 miles on yet so don't think the tyres can be that worn. They look OK too.

have a twiddle with the settings

make a note of how its set currently

take it back to stock first

yours should be one of the ones with a decent setup with a good range of adjust ability

I'd bloody hope so given the amount I paid for it.....

I'm off this week still on paternity so I can twiddle about. Got some decent test roads round here.

No MR W

You can't twiddle with the suspension but you can change lots of nappies :D

How is parenthood treating you thus far?

It's all good. Removed the yoshimura exhaust to get the baffle out and tensioned chain this weekend. Mowed lawn. Did bbq.

I don't feel too tired and I think I am lucky with having a baby that is behaving generally. I'm sure that will change soon though!

I can at least learn what to adjust on the suspension this week if I can't do more.