Mobile phones.

Guest Gautrek

I popped into carphone warehouse today to get an new phone as my contract was up. I would have kept my old phone but I think the battery is dying. After they tried to sell me some all singing all dancing new phone. I explained I wanted a phone which was small enough to fit in my pocket and I ended up getting a phone I was happy with.

We went through all the options for the contract and then I said ok that will do for me. She then said do you want insurance on the phone to which I replied no thanks. This seemed to suprise her. So I explained the phone at the moment is £280 to buy, the insurance you sell will cost me £200 over 2 years and given that as my phone gets superceded then the price will drop. So if I break it in 18 months time I will either buy another phone or take a new contract out. But she kept saying it will cost you £280 if you break it. So I tried to explain that I have never taken phone insurance out or any other insurnace for that matter on household items. I then explained that I have had 3 smart phones over the last 5 years and have never broken one and have saved around £300 by not taking it out. So even if I break this one next week and need to buy a new one I am still up. But I don't think she could see my point. I also explained I don't tend to walk round with my phone attached to my hand constantly so unless its being used its in my pocket out of the way.

Is there anyone else who never bothers with these types of insurance? I did once get offered insurance on a £18 toaster years ago which was more than the cost of the toaster.

I'm a mobile phone tart, been with vodafone for donkeys years but have never taken out insurance. I stay on sim only contracts and buy the handset, much cheaper in the long run.

I'm a mobile phone tart, been with vodafone for donkeys years but have never taken out insurance. I stay on sim only contracts and buy the handset, much cheaper in the long run.

That's what I do. Buy the handset outright and stay sim only.

I buy Google Nexus devices directly from Google, and since I'm a heavy data user I get 22GB of data/month for just 20quid.

Works out cheaper on the long run and means I can avoid the phoneshop idiots... But I still love the "Phone Shop" TV series..

If you're not interested in the latest technology and just want a basic, cheap phone, buying it outright on a sim only deal is likely to be cheaper.

As for insurance - I don't bother. If I break it I buy a new one. Worst case I'm covered on home insurance but not likley to claim.

My bank were offering "free" mobile insurance if I upgraded my current account, but I didn't bother as I didn't need all the other "free" stuff they were including as I already source from elsewhere.

I buy the Nexus range direct from Google too. My bank account includes phone insurance among other useful things so I use that. I've used it a few times over the past 4 years, I do occasionally drop my phone and eventually the screen cracks.

Never take out insurance. Never will. Like many others have said, cost of insurance againt replacement is disproprtionate and most are not worth the paper they are written on anyway.

Only had phone insurance once. Threatend to leave as could get a better deal else where, so current supplier bettered the deal and threw in the insurance for period of contract. Cancelled insurance at the end of the contract period. :thumb:

The only time I take insurance out is if I cannot afford to risk the loss, eg house and work cover, or when its compulsory, ie bike and car. Washing machines/phones/telly etc all a con to make money for the insurance company.

:stupid:

Yup: insurance for the stuff you can't afford to cover: house, contents, travel (repatriating a body is expensive), or where you have to (car, bike). Everything else is a plain, no thank you.

I always buy Sim Only - usually with cashback. Buy a budget but decent smartphone, something like Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 or Moto G. I no longer see the point in getting a top of the range mobile that costs £600, or an iPhone :D.

No insurance.

I have a 3.5 year old iPhone. I didn't get insurance when i bought it and I never will. i've saved hundreds over the years by not buying it and it is covered by household anyway - but i wouldn't claim. If im unlucky enough for it to break or lose it, i will buy another. People take mobile phone insurance because they think a phone is a necessity. it is not. Insurance is a scam and a gable all in one. I won't take it if i can avoid it!

Apparently you can use this type of insurance to your advantage. Offer to take out insurance (staff can often have targets to hit with warranties) in return for a discount on the item you are buying. Get the discount, take the insurance then if you cancel it within 45 days (The Supply of Extended Warranties on Domestic Electrical Goods Order 2005) and get a full refund. Applies to both service agreements and insurance products.