Type of oil for Honda CG 125?

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

There are apparently difference between car and bike oil. Bike oil is designed to be more (?) lubricating because it is used in the clutch and transmission. Where as car oil is less(?) lubrication as the engine is generally separate from the clutch and transmission. I'm sure googling will bring up many differences and debates.

I have no idea what actually happens if you use car oil in a bike however. My bike takes so little oil I just buy it bike oil.

Go read up about api ratings and Jaso ratings and find out what they all mean

Then make your own mind up

There is a lot of bullshit going about with regards to car and bike oils

Also read what it says in the manual

To be fair... it's a CG125, it was designed to run on olive oil when required :lol:

But that said, I stick to the proper stuff in mine. Doesn't cost too much and I like to know I'm looking after it well!

It depends. If you plan to sell the bike soon use anything you have. Personally I prefer to do the best for my bikes.

Given the fact CG125 needs only 1 liter oil that for good quality oil will cost you £10 I really do not see why anybody would like to save say £3?

Buy this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuchs-Silkolene-Comp-4-10w-40-XP-1-Litre-4-stroke-engine-oil-10W40-1L-Comp4-/141391293182?hash=item20eb93eafe:g:eY4AAOSw5b1XIyCz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See here the most detailed explanation for CG125 oil changes ever: http://hondacg125.awardspace.com/oil.htm#When-to-change-the-Oil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above link will explain how to clean your centrifugal oil filter as well. Do it.

Thanks all. No issues paying a tenner but if it's basically the same as what I already have then I thought not much point.

I was about to put car oil in my 125 because, like you, I thought there can't be that much difference between oil types. I mentioned this in passing to a bike mechanic who said to me not to ever use car oil in a bike with a wet clutch. That was good enough for me, for the sake of £10 a litre I'll always use bike oil.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

It depends. If you plan to sell the bike soon use anything you have. Personally I prefer to do the best for my bikes.

Given the fact CG125 needs only 1 liter oil that for good quality oil will cost you £10 I really do not see why anybody would like to save say £3?

Buy this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuchs-Silkolene-Comp-4-10w-40-XP-1-Litre-4-stroke-engine-oil-10W40-1L-Comp4-/141391293182?hash=item20eb93eafe:g:eY4AAOSw5b1XIyCz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See here the most detailed explanation for CG125 oil changes ever: http://hondacg125.awardspace.com/oil.htm#When-to-change-the-Oil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above link will explain how to clean your centrifugal oil filter as well. Do it.

I'm saving £38 with my 5 litres for £12 vs your 1 litre for a tenna.

In my R1 I would use better oil. It's a highly strung engine and possibly could benefit from it... But not in my 125. Has no issues with my SR after 10k miles. No difference in clutch or gearbox operation either and since the head gasket hasn't blown, one should assume it still does a decent job of cooling :)

Thanks all. No issues paying a tenner but if it's basically the same as what I already have then I thought not much point.

I was about to put car oil in my 125 because, like you, I thought there can't be that much difference between oil types. I mentioned this in passing to a bike mechanic who said to me not to ever use car oil in a bike with a wet clutch. That was good enough for me, for the sake of £10 a litre I'll always use bike oil.

And this is exactly why you need to read up about api ratings and Jaso ratings and friction modifiers

Did the same mechanic tell you that 97 octane gives you better fuel economy and engine performance, by any chance?? :lol: