Chain/sprocket -1/+2 change questions

Guest Kc9400

-1/+2

I'll need to get a speedo healer of somesort to correct the reading, but if I change just the rear to +2 would that still throw the speedo out?

What's the cheapest solution to correcting the speedo after making such a change?

Anyone with past experience able to offer some advice.

I after increased acceleration, not too bothered about the top end as you can't realistically use it on the roads anyway 8-)

Did it to my GSXR-600. It made the bike much more lively. Also made the engine braking much stronger.

Also fitted a quick action throttle - all easy mods but well worth it.

I fitted a speedo healer - they come up cheap on eBay occasionally .

Change the sprockets and try it first before you go buying speedo healer ect, my last bike came with altered gearing and i hated it, makes it too twitchy for me, millions are spend on r&d and thats the sprocket sizes they come up with, much smoother and if you want to accelerate harder twist faster or get a bigger bike is my opinion.

Yeah I think I may just stick with stock, it's not like I really need to be spending more money on getting a test set then buying a healer aswell :P

Cheers guys :)

Or just do it and accept the fact your speedo will over-read and millage will go up faster.

Stock gearing is a compromise. They have to pass noise and emissions tests so bikes are geared to keep revs low at the test conditions to keep noise and emissions under the limits.

Also they don't want to make the bike too twitchy as it makes them more difficult to ride and thus harder to sell.

It's a simple job to change the sprockets and it will make the bike feel alot more lively. Personal choice though..

I'm planning a -1 front sprocket on my s1000rr to make it more punchy. Stock gearing is way too high - 90mph in first gear!!

And phill did the same mod to his R1 and loves it (I sold him my old speedo healer)

so if I try it should I go down to a 520 chain or just stick with the 525?

What state are your current sprockets in?

Just buy a front -1 and swap it to see what it's like before splashing out on new pair of sprockets and new chain.

Just buy a front -1 and swap it to see what it's like before splashing out on new pair of sprockets and new chain.

This is a good idea if your chain is past its best

Also stick with the 525 there is more strength in it 520 might be lighter but if anything happens and the chain snaps and worst case it kills someone then all hell could break loose

Since my trip to France chains picked up some tight spots and is then very loose in other spots. Not dangerously tight and not dangerously loose but not good that's for sure. It clicks and kind of pings/jumps a little when you role the bike forward.

The sprockets look good, they definitely still have life in them.

Can you not hack the ECU? You can adjust the digital speedo on my TT600 by using the TuneECU program?

I changed mine from displaying +4 (in guessing factory done this so you have no excuse if you get caught at a speed camera) and I adjusted it so it now shows my actual speed.

Tested alongside my brothers car and also one of those roadside signs that shows your speed.

Cheapest, most effective tune up mod you can do to a bike. 15quid for a front sprocket. I did -1+2 on my 98 Blade and it was awesome on acceleration. Floated the front wheel in first 3 gears. I just accepted the error on the speedo and usually had a satnag on anyway. Do it NOW!!!

Do it NOW!!!

There you go then, Mega has spoken. :-D

It is a great mod. My speedo reads about 10% over so is easy to figure what it should read for the road speed.

Yep... Have had this mod on my R1 for about 15k miles and wouldn't go back to stock gearing. On a 600 stock would probably make more sense but a litre sports bike is just ridiculous to ride with stock for a variety of reasons.

Only thing for me is, 1st gear is so powerful it becomes very snatchy on right corners so it really does require a delicate touch, often it's better to ride a gear higher on a tight corner just so to not unsettle the bike...

Your bike will be a lot less agressive but still, you will need to adjust your throttle control again and treat it with a bit more respect.

Right so I've gone ahead and ordered one of these: http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/58067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (15 teeth)

Hopefully it'll arrive Monday and I'll get it fitted and see how it feels :D

Then I can decide if I'll add more teeth to the back or not.

Either way I'll change the chain and sprockets entirely once I've had a little feel for the -1 front.