Noise issue

Guest dx5000

Come here seeking advice hopefully from responsible bike owners...

The issue...

Young local bike owner revving their bike at between 7:30 and 2am at night. Opposite three houses with under 10s (babies to 10). Its waking them up and causing them too lose sleep. Its a massively powerful bike. I watch British Superbikes from time to time and its defiantly in that sort of category of noise.

We don't care about him using his bike and enjoying it. We don't care about the constant reviving before 7pm when he is, I guess, doing work to his bike. We just don't want the kids constantly losing sleep as he revs it into the early hours before riding it. We are going crazy. Its really ruining our quality of life.

I understand he wants to enjoy his bike. But I need him to show a small amount of love for his neighbours as well.

If he won't listen can we get any help from the council or police? Or is it just a case of tough shit....

People tried talking to him reasonably. When that failed people tried having ago. He just doesn't care. He just tells us to f**k off :(

I am trying to understand it from his point of view. With a hope of suggesting a compromise. I don't understand bikes. Does he NEED to rev his bike before using it ? Why can't he just pull off the drive and get on with it ? Which wouldn't be a problem....

Get in touch with the council. They will ask you to keep a diary for a while and may even fit DB level equipment to gain evidence. But from what I hear, it can take a while.

Hope you get it sorted. The cocky little shit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Every time he does it (out of hours) call the council and get put through to environmental health. They work out of hours and will come and warn him. Nice he carries on they can slap a noise abatement order on the property. Happened again, they'll seize it.

There are ways to stop this, but it's long winded and depending on your council, they can help or do f**k all. But use your camera phone and log everything.

If it's really taking the piss, call Police. Not a huge amount they can do but they will knock on his door and tell him to pack that shit in.

Not taking sides here, but yes, it is necessary for the bike to rev above idle for a little while before it can be used. All 4-stroke bikes should be warmed up for between 3 and 5 minutes before use, or their engines can seize early into the ride, causing catastrophic damage. Most bikes will need a little gas to start up from cold, as well. For example, my bike idles at 1200 rpm. However, I can't just start it and leave it to idle at that speed, or it will just cut out immediately. I have to hold the throttle open to about 4000 rpm (noisy) for several moments because I can let it drop down to 1200 rpm. Then I can leave it for 3 to 5 minutes to warm up.

Like I said, I'm not taking sides but I'll tell you this, and you won't want to hear it: 7:30 in the evening is way too early as a cutoff point for environmental noise in residential areas. You have to be reasonable here. The cutoff time for noise nuisance (you can look this up if you don't believe me) is 11 pm. If you expect everything to go dead at 7:30 you're not being reasonable. Sorry, but someone had to say it.

Not taking sides here, but yes, it is necessary for the bike to rev above idle for a little while before it can be used. All 4-stroke bikes should be warmed up for between 3 and 5 minutes before use, or their engines can seize early into the ride, causing catastrophic damage. Most bikes will need a little gas to start up from cold, as well. For example, my bike idles at 1200 rpm. However, I can't just start it and leave it to idle at that speed, or it will just cut out immediately. I have to hold the throttle open to about 4000 rpm (noisy) for several moments because I can let it drop down to 1200 rpm. Then I can leave it for 3 to 5 minutes to warm up.

Bollocks. Modern fuel injected bikes do not need to sit running for 3-5mins before you can ride them! The engine management will run the bike at slightly elevated revs until it's happy the motor won't stall (just like the manual choke back in the okd days) but there is really no need to leave a bike running 5mins before riding away and certainly no need to rev them manually whilst standing still.

Sound like your bike needs some mechanical attention!!

It isn't bollocks, nor is it a fueling issue. Stalling isn't the problem.

The real purpose of warming up the engine is to encourage the flow of oil around the engine. When all the parts are properly lubricated, there is less likelihood of seizure.

What the OP suggested, which was basically pressing the 'on' button then driving off, is damaging to bikes. The highest level of wear and tear occurs at the point when the bike is started, and this is because the oil hasn't properly covered all moving parts at that time. To accelerate, from cold, an unlubricated bike engine and clutch, is to hasten damage and risk catastrophic component failure.

I worry about making noise on my 125 and dreading upsetting people when I get a bigger and no doubt noisier bike. The guy is just inconsiderate, I only use mine to go to work. If he's revving it to do work on it at those time he is just being a twat.

Glad im not your neighbour!!

As soon as the engine management starts to bring the revs down you're good to go. That normally takes just a few seconds, not 3-5minutes. You then ride the bike gently keeping rev low until the engine is fully upto temperature, then you can thrash it.

Absolutely no need to give a healthy fuel injected bike any throttle for it to start or to rev it manually to keep it running, or to run it for 3-5mins before riding it.

Bollocks. Modern fuel injected bikes do not need to sit running for 3-5mins before you can ride them! The engine management will run the bike at slightly elevated revs until it's happy the motor won't stall (just like the manual choke back in the okd days) but there is really no need to leave a bike running 5mins before riding away and certainly no need to rev them manually whilst standing still.

Sound like your bike needs some mechanical attention!!

Completely agree with Joe. Ok my bike is a 125, but it automatically sets the revs a little higher for 3-5 seconds at start up then reduced them to what they should be. At most I leave it running for how long it takes me to get my gloves on (1min maybe?). All engines warm up better when they are on the move and the parts are moving. The correct way to warm a bike up is to ride it gently for the first few minutes after it has settled at its normal idle rev's. Rev'ing it on the drive way is not the same, and reving it up, then tearing out the driveway/streets like a possessed daemon is just asking for problems.

You should get your biked looked at if it wont hold it's own rev's on start up on a normal day. (Fair enough on a cold day)

think the op is saying he is revving it constant when he is tinkering with it , not when he starts it to go out on it..

As for leaving it running to warm up ... Start it put your lid and gloves on and go .. .

If every thing else fails to stop him revving it op.. there is always the A Team

The real purpose of warming up the engine is to encourage the flow of oil around the engine. When all the parts are properly lubricated, there is less likelihood of seizure.

What the OP suggested, which was basically pressing the 'on' button then driving off, is damaging to bikes. The highest level of wear and tear occurs at the point when the bike is started, and this is because the oil hasn't properly covered all moving parts at that time. To accelerate, from cold, an unlubricated bike engine and clutch, is to hasten damage and risk catastrophic component failure.

My bike manual specifically says to ride off immediately and do not leave the bike to warm up :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's for emissions reasons.

If your bike has a catalytic converter it doesn't start working until it's hot, so to meet clean environmental legislation, bikes are designed to be started up and ridden away immediately to get the catalytic converter hot and working faster to reduce pollution.

Modern fuel injected bikes do not need to sit running for 3-5mins before you can ride them!

Even my clapped out carb bike doesn't! Start it with some choke, put on gloves, adjust choke accordingly - ride off! At some point turn choke off :lol:

Some people are massive dicks and give a bad name to the majority of bikers who care about their neighbours! Occassionally my bike backfires in the morning (around 730ish) and I feel bad!

DX - I'm not sure what to suggest if the guy won't listen to reason other than if he does work nights getting something loud and using it under his window at various points through out the day - OOOH we could send Phil to go rev under his window :lol: The council suggestions above may be more sensible though.....

I remember working on finding a hole in my exhaust header pipe one morning, so engine running, little bit of light revving etc when the nosy old biddy across the road (every street seems to have one) shouted out of her bedroom window at me " it is 9 o'clock in the morning!!! "

I looked at my watch and shouted back " you're right, it is" and carried on working :mrgreen:

at same time I am considerate of my neighbours, I used to work nights with my shifts pattern meaning I didn't set off until 11pm. at my last address we lived on a cul-de-sac on a hill approx 5 houses long with our house being at the top so I would roll my bike down and bump start it at bottom of hill.

Whoever has filled your head with this needs a good slap!!

its actually worse for an engine to leave sat idling

also if your bike it revving to 4k with the choke on then you best get it looked at! it should be no more than 2k

if what you are saying is true how come you can get in a car start it and drive straight off and have that engine easily clock up 200k

it takes seconds for the oil to circulate the engine and there is always oil around the important parts it doesnt all run back to the sump

I have an old 98 Hornet and all I do is full choke flick the switch and it starts and idles 30 seconds later after helmet and gloves I drop the choke off and ride. no need for revving the engine at all. :roll:

Regardless of what some of you have said, I will continue to let my bike warm up for a few minutes before riding off, for the reasons I have already given about oil and the behaviour of the moving parts at cold vs warm operating temperatures. You do it your way and I'll do it mine. My bike has twin carbs, it's in perfect order, it doesn't need choke to start but I put it on anyway for all of 3 seconds or so when starting, then hold it at 4000 rpm for a few seconds, then take my hand away. What I've just described is nothing unusual, contrary to the view you have taken.

There is no way to warm up an engine without running it. Someone actually wrote that leaving the bike on idle causes more wear and tear than just riding off without letting it warm up and the oil fully circulate around the engine and clutch. I have no further comment.

The only way you will damage your engine from cold is if you give it full beans soon as you leave the drive, I wouldn't sit there holding it at 4k RPM to warm it up.

That sounds dramatic. Leaving it there at 4K rpm. I suppose I said that's what I do. Oh wait, no I didn't. I said 'a few moments'. Sorry to bugger up the group bonding and reassurance ritual here, but.. really. And maybe let this thread go back to answering the OP.

The only way you will damage your engine from cold is if you give it full beans soon as you leave the drive, I wouldn't sit there holding it at 4k RPM to warm it up.

That sounds dramatic. Leaving it there at 4K rpm. I suppose I said that's what I do. Oh wait, no I didn't. I said 'a few moments'. Sorry to bugger up the group bonding and reassurance ritual here, but.. really. And maybe let this thread go back to answering the OP.

Ermm ..you did say that :lol:

Ermm ..you did say that :lol:

I have to hold the throttle open to about 4000 rpm (noisy) for several moments because I can let it drop down to 1200 rpm. Then I can leave it for 3 to 5 minutes to warm up.

Ermm yup he did!! :roll:

holding a cold engine at 4k even for a few seconds will do more damage than you think!

oil is supposed to be worked and so is an engine oil and engine don't warm up properly for a good 5 or 6 miles maybe even more dependant on ambient temp!

Like I said, I'm not taking sides but I'll tell you this, and you won't want to hear it: 7:30 in the evening is way too early as a cutoff point for environmental noise in residential areas. You have to be reasonable here. The cutoff time for noise nuisance (you can look this up if you don't believe me) is 11 pm. If you expect everything to go dead at 7:30 you're not being reasonable. Sorry, but someone had to say it.

Crock of crap. My fuel injected gsxr needs no warm up time. Only carbed bikes need warm up.

Not read past this post but if it is that loud the police may be able to do something on antisocial behaviour.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk