Noise issue

Guest dx5000

Bollocks. Modern fuel injected bikes do not need to sit running for 3-5mins before you can ride them! The engine management will run the bike at slightly elevated revs until it's happy the motor won't stall (just like the manual choke back in the okd days) but there is really no need to leave a bike running 5mins before riding away and certainly no need to rev them manually whilst standing still.

Sound like your bike needs some mechanical attention!!

Joe, I fully support your bollocks.

Besides, who wants to waste 5 mins hanging about when they could be riding around. :-)

Edited by Mr Fro

Regardless of what some of you have said, I will continue to let my bike warm up for a few minutes before riding off, for the reasons I have already given about oil and the behaviour of the moving parts at cold vs warm operating temperatures. You do it your way and I'll do it mine. My bike has twin carbs, it's in perfect order, it doesn't need choke to start but I put it on anyway for all of 3 seconds or so when starting, then hold it at 4000 rpm for a few seconds, then take my hand away. What I've just described is nothing unusual, contrary to the view you have taken.

There is no way to warm up an engine without running it. Someone actually wrote that leaving the bike on idle causes more wear and tear than just riding off without letting it warm up and the oil fully circulate around the engine and clutch. I have no further comment.

Engines (bike or car) likely pick up more damage in the first 10 minutes of running as it can take that long I believe to get the temperatures right for the oil to work properly. (I learnt this a while ago so may apply to older vehicles more). Therefore short journeys can do more damage in the long run than longer journeys as the oil isn't brought to operating temperature is what I have been taught in the past.

Regardless, my Suzuki dealer told me I don't need to idle the bike and they know what they are on about. Same dealer who lent me a clear visor when I got caught in bad weather with a dark one and had an hours ride home.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

it doesn't need choke to start but I put it on anyway for all of 3 seconds or so when starting, then hold it at 4000 rpm for a few seconds, then take my hand away. What I've just described is nothing unusual, contrary to the view you have taken.

Rather than thrashing a stone cold motor upto 4k rpm, why not just leave the choke on a little longer? That's what the choke is for!!

If your bike genuinely doesn't need choke to start then it may well be running too rich... but the fact it won't idle when cold suggests it needs the choke leaving on a little longer as it's designed to be.

He said he spoke with the Twohat who simply told him to F... Off.

Council / Environmental is the place to go - Complain every time he does this for a 'protracted period' and ring the Police if after 11pm.

NB. Reving a cold engine to 4K is NOT good!

I would actually avoid notifying the council and police as it would impact property prices.. much prefer to silence the idiot in more unconventional ways ;)

:mrgreen:

Haha, exaclty...

An antisocial biker's worst nightmare is another biker with a grudge since we know his weaknesses.

Letting him know that loud bikes just let the thieves know where he lives and then paying a couple of dodgy looking blokes in a van to sniff around his bike/property..

Phycological warfare is the key to winning this one I reckon.

Failing that a little diesel spillage on his driveway would ruin his day.

I would actually avoid notifying the council and police as it would impact property prices.. much prefer to silence the idiot in more unconventional ways ;)

GBH (or worse) will effect property prices more!

:tumble:

GBH (or worse) will effect property prices more!

:tumble:

Violence is never the answer.. and it's too easy to prove!

infestation of cockroaches delivered silently through the letterbox with "keep the noise down" hand painted on their backs in tipex on the otherhand is a little trickier.

Why not get a 'one man band' kit, you know, like the bass drum on your back connected to you leg, symbals and mouth organ etc, and go marching up and down his garden path at 5am 'practicing' your music skills?

This will only work if he's married and you know his name.. Get on line and book a couple of whores to turn up at his house ....

He'll be packing his bags in the morning or possibly that night .

This will only work if he's married and you know his name.. Get on line and book a couple of whores to turn up at his house ....

He'll be packing his bags in the morning or possibly that night .

Gigolo may be an option too.

And feel free to Google that kids.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Glad im not your neighbour!!

As soon as the engine management starts to bring the revs down you're good to go. That normally takes just a few seconds, not 3-5minutes. You then ride the bike gently keeping rev low until the engine is fully upto temperature, then you can thrash it.

Absolutely no need to give a healthy fuel injected bike any throttle for it to start or to rev it manually to keep it running, or to run it for 3-5mins before riding it.

If it's the middle of the day at a weekend, I will leave my bike idling for a few mins to get the temp up faster, if it's early I get on it and go, you're 100 % right about just keeping the revs low, if I've got onvit and ridden straight from cold, nothing over about 4K for the first 10 mins.

Regardless of what some of you have said, I will continue to let my bike warm up for a few minutes before riding off, for the reasons I have already given about oil and the behaviour of the moving parts at cold vs warm operating temperatures. You do it your way and I'll do it mine. My bike has twin carbs, it's in perfect order, it doesn't need choke to start but I put it on anyway for all of 3 seconds or so when starting, then hold it at 4000 rpm for a few seconds, then take my hand away. What I've just described is nothing unusual, contrary to the view you have taken.

There is no way to warm up an engine without running it. Someone actually wrote that leaving the bike on idle causes more wear and tear than just riding off without letting it warm up and the oil fully circulate around the engine and clutch. I have no further comment.

If your using the correct grade oil for the engine then it will circulate as soon as the bike starts and the oil pump gets going.

So if you have to wait until its warm before your oil gets about then i suggest you remove the gear oil from your engine

Yes you should start the bike and let the choke come off before riding off but then keep the bike below 4k for the first couple mims of the ride. 5 mins is un needed to be honest and waste valuable riding time.

Back to op between 11:30pm and 7:00am he must comply with noise regulation, outside of that he needs to be a decent human being. If he is telling people to F off then start collecting evidence. Report to the police or council.

There is no need to manually rev the bike and if its a modern FI bike then he can ride straight away if he wants