New phone time....what to go for?

Tango

Well, the contract is up on my current phone and I'm researching options......and weighing up all the pros and cons of what's available at the moment..... :?

My Nexus 5 does pretty much everything I want.....The only downside is it's the 16gb version and it's full, as I use it for music in the car plus pics too.....so it's starting to creak a bit...... :wink: Battery life could be better too...... :roll:

Now, being a tight git I don't want to be paying much more than the £30 a month I currently pay......so that limits what phones are available to me.

Current contenders are:

Nexus 5x

Huawai P5

Galaxy S6

I'm swayed towards the 5x because it's the naked android experience. ......but the only potential drawbacks are the USB-C connector and the relative lack of accessories. ......I've also read a review where they said the phone slowed down dramatically after a few months?

The P5 is on the edge of my budget......but reviews are very mixed.......and battery life and the UI seem to come In for some stick.

The S6 seems quite good, but again, battery life comes in for some stick........and I'm not keen on Samsungs bloatware they load onto their phones.

Another potential option is to buy a 32gb Nexus 5 and run it on a sim only contract...... :?

So, does anyone have any reviews of the above phones, or other ideas?

Cheers.

BTW....Please don't suggest any iPhones......or I'll have to come round and slap you up the back of the head!..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Samsung phones do have less bloat nowadays tbh. If they still had the bloat of old I wouldn't have got the s7.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bob check out what Sony has to offer

I have the Sony Z2 and have had it for 2 years!! I was due an upgrade last month but never bothered as its such a great phone! everything just works and battery life is ace

Tracey has the Z5 compact and the same with that it just works! excellent battery 2 days like mine

expandable memory too and a brilliant camera

I've been using samsung phones for years now and always been happy. But my wife got the s6 and I wasn't impressed with the build or the fact that there was no expandable memory. So when my contract was up I went for the s7. Really wish I hadn't. It's extremely slippery. You could put it down on sand paper and it would still slide off at speed. Does have expandable memory though. Wish I could go back to my trusty S5.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What's the Sonys like for putting music on them Stu.......The last Sony phone I had you had to load play lists. .......whereas my recent phones are just copy and paste the music into the memory.

I'll look into them though Stu. ...... :cheers:

Yeah Mr W.....I think the Samsungs are better these days......Unfortunately the S7 is a bit out of my budget. My old S3 used to stutter a bit if I was playing music and running CoPilot at the same time......but I guess the processors are a fair bit quicker now..... 8-)

I've been using the 5x since it was released. No complaints really.

Only nigglenis that compare to the Nexus 5 the buttons have moved.

The USB-C is supposed to charge quicker isn't it Joe?...... how's the battery life on the 5x?

just copy and paste bob no need to mess about with playlists

or even easier take it all off your old phone and put it on a memory card and stick it in the new phone no need to mess about copying and pasting if you stick with phones with expandable memory

I've been using the 5x since it was released. No complaints really.

Only nigglenis that compare to the Nexus 5 the buttons have moved.

The USB-C is supposed to charge quicker isn't it Joe?...... how's the battery life on the 5x?

yep, it's a lot quicker on the supplied charger.

I bought a load of micro-usb to usb-C converters so i could continue to use all my old chargers - they are just a few quid off ebay.

its no faster to charge on the old chargers.

battery life is a bit better than the 5, but i still find myself having to charge it up at my desk at work mid afternoon if i want it to survive a night out.

but i'm a heavy user so not surprising.

What's the Sonys like for putting music on them Stu.......The last Sony phone I had you had to load play lists. .......whereas my recent phones are just copy and paste the music into the memory.

I'll look into them though Stu. ...... :cheers:

Yeah Mr W.....I think the Samsungs are better these days......Unfortunately the S7 is a bit out of my budget. My old S3 used to stutter a bit if I was playing music and running CoPilot at the same time......but I guess the processors are a fair bit quicker now..... 8-)

use Google Play Music - store all of your musing in the cloud and download it to whatever device you want to hear it on.

if you lose your device, doesnt matter, just buy a new one and resync.

Get something with removable battery, or one of those leather cases that includes a battery to double battery size. Bit chunky but it solves any battery problems. I have galaxy note, well over original contract and just buy the odd cheap battery to swap out when it starts to struggle

yeah I think a lot of manufacturers are trying to push people to use the "cloud" :roll:

they have probably struck a deal with the cloud people!

Lol, Google are the cloud people and they make the Android operating system... so yeah, they have a vested interest in people using the cloud..

a 32GB device on a good data package, and wifi at home/work and there's no need for removable storage.

No one said HTC yet? I'm a few months from the end on my one m8 contract and will probably chop to sim only as it's still going strong.

The girlie really likes her Samsung but that's only 6 months old (can't remember the model).

I've just got the s7 edge after being with apple for years, no complaints so far apart from maybe the battery life could be a little better but maybe I'm just on it to much :lol:

HTC 10 is a bit pricey Fro.......but I do quite like HTC phones......but I think the 9 was a bit of a duffer though...... :wink:

Stepped into the light, Ricky......good man! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Haha so I keep getting told! :lol:

The camera is mentally good, you can add your own SD card and I use Spotify for music :D

Unlimited calls, texts and 4g data with Vodafone and I'm not paying much more than 30 quid a month :) had to pay 119 upfront fee though :lol: