How to book a theory test with an EU licence?

Hi everybody,

I passed my CBT here in the UK and I hold an EU car driving licence.

I tried to book the theory test for the motorcycle licence on the DVSA website but keep getting an error that my licence number can't be accepted.

I wrote an email to DVSA but it takes ages for them to get back to me and who knows if they have the right answer for me anyway. Phoning them is useless as "due to extremely high call volumes" they were not able to answer my call each time I tried.

Is there anyone out there who holds an EU licence and can tell me how to book a theory test in the UK? Do I have to swap my current licence for a UK one maybe?

Quickly googling seems to imply you need to get a D9 form to register your license with the DVLA

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/528007/d9-application-to-register-a-non-gb-driving-licence.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can print off and send from the above link. :thumb:

Thanks for your reply. That's actually what I did. They sent me back an answer letter saying that there is no need to register the licence since I can drive with my current licence in the UK until I'm 70 or something. So I'm really confused :-(

Bloody DVLA! I think you can indeed use your license to drive however you need a UK number or at least registered EU number to take a test.

Do you have a bike training school you are using or thinking of using for your DAS? It may be worth giving them a quick call to see if they can offer any advice.

Failing that you may need to shout at the DVLA some more and make it really clear that you need to take a theory test and it will not accept your EU number. :(

Hoggs is right: Form D9 is what you need. But don't talk to them! Fill out the form, enclose your EU licence and send it to them by recorded/special (signed-for) delivery post. I used to work for a government department and I know what they're like. There's no use talking to them at all. They hear you on the phone, and want you off the phone and to be left alone, and will say anything to achieve that aim.

If your form comes in, they will action it and you will get a UK licence.

The bureaucracy generally works well here and the people are friendly to visitors. Nice, isn't it.

Well if there is any way to avoid exchanging my EU licence for a UK one I would be very happy. Exchanging the licence would be my last resort if this is what needs to be done in order for me to sit a test here.

Strangely enough I can google myself to death about this topic and I won't find any information. Am I really the ONLY person in this country who wants to sit a test with a non-UK licence?

Well if there is any way to avoid exchanging my EU licence for a UK one I would be very happy. Exchanging the licence would be my last resort if this is what needs to be done in order for me to sit a test here.

I am afraid this cannot work this. Lets say you pass the test and than you pass the mod 1 and 2.

How do you expect to have your new A category in your license? You need UK license for this. DVLA can't update the EU one and they will give you an UK one only as exchange. Its catch 22.

• 5 years later...

I have the same issue. I can't book the theory test. I even registered my European driving license with the d9 counterpart. But the number provided is not working. I'm trying since month to solve it. I contacted the DVLA, the DVSA and Pearson. It is hard to get through and none of the above could help me so far. They keep sending me back and force between each other. I'm not sure if I will ever find a solution. 

• 6 months later...
On 08/10/2021 at 17:50, Oscar said:

I have the same issue. I can't book the theory test. I even registered my European driving license with the d9 counterpart. But the number provided is not working. I'm trying since month to solve it. I contacted the DVLA, the DVSA and Pearson. It is hard to get through and none of the above could help me so far. They keep sending me back and force between each other. I'm not sure if I will ever find a solution. 

I am in this exact situation. Did you find a solution in the end? 

When I was trying to register my trailer the only way O managed to get a reply was on twitter.

This was during the pandemic lockdown.

I just got off the phone with the DVSA and the person said that he'd need to contact the DVLA to check that I was eligible for the test as I have a Danish EU license. If you call DVSA on 0300 200 1122 and have your Driver number from your D9 form, then hopefully you'll get the same help as I just did. 

I haven't actually booked the test yet, but at least it seems like someone is on it for me. 

Edit to Add: 
Just got of the phone again and he had to book it in manually for me, but I now have an appointment for the test. I assume it's something to do with the EU license, so definitely call them and ask about it. 

Edited by CharlieKiil
  • Like 1