Triumph with a knocking on the chassis (sounds like it)

Guest Gordon.irwine

My baby runs a sweet as a nut (not my words...the last garage i put her into), but under load while driving she makes a noise similar to someone hitting the frame with a hammer. Its not chain or sprocket derived and the wheels are firmly attached. There is no power loss nor hesitation in acceleration, no metal in the oil or shavings else where...........she is a triple, triumph trophy 1996 ...and i love her to bits....anybody have any ideas before i reluctantly have to take her to a triumph dealer Sad god help me! ...or someone else.

thanks

Gordon

No... a bit more sinister than that..it really sounds like some one is hitting the frame with a metal bar...bang bang..it does not happen while the bike is stationery or while being taken up the revs while stationery, but as soon as you start moving bang..bang.. thanks for taking the time :D

I have had this in the past with a ZXR750.

It took ages to find and was the pivot for the swingarm.

It might be worth trying to see if the pin moves as there was no play detected but the bearing had seized.

Let us know how you go on.

yeah ..will post the cause as soon as I know it.....hopefully tonight.. The pivot does sound sensible...what i did not add was the bike stood still on it's side stand for approx. 3 months during the autumn last year..so seizure is a possibility ...

not sure if you have a centre stand but if you do is the retaining spring loose and the stand knocking? also check wheel bearings they can throw noise under the bike from the front wheel...

Lastly is there anything under the seat or in the tool storage which is ratelling...

Thanks...had the center stand off and lubed at the weekend...springs are good and retaining the upright position. Wheel bearings APPEAR ok...not checked thoroughly but will have a look. :D .......,,this is a triumph were are talking about......under seat storage.....I could not even pack" something for the weekend sir"...in that thing.. :lol:

Mine has been good.... no real problems..other than usual wear and tear...she's done 38k miles. I have rebuilt front end which made her a different bike totally, put uprated springs and reduced the oil weight, beleive it or not the back suspension is still good..ish... no rust on her and she kept outside all weathers. Some people say they don't handle very well, but i think that is due to being poorly serviced especially the front end suspension. If i had to i can keep up with most bikes through the twisties. Ground clearance can be a little bit of a problem but they are not a bike to go racing on. Mileage is keen..big tank 21litres or so often costs me over £20 to fill up, but i get 180/190 miles to the tank on motorway and 160 round the lanes. There are some good breakers on the web, sprintmanufacturing are excellent and Lynx motorcycles have never let me down.

I paid £2000 4 years ago. I consider her an excellent bike for me. Insurance cover for me fully comp £60..can't remember who with..if needed will supply

• 2 weeks later...

No. not yet..have not been in the uk for a couple of weeks. enjoying the cold of the Spanish mountains. Will get it into triumph when I get back and post the cause