Replacing helmet

This has been bugging me for a while.

A couple of weeks ago I came off my bike, foolishly grabbing front and stamping on back brake..

I came down mostly on my right hip, also my hands, however there was also a noticeable 'crack' noise as my helmet hit the tarmac.

I don't think it was a hard impact, certainly it didn't snap my head back or anything, the visible damage is a minor scratch on the chin area and very minor scratches on the right side of the visor.

I suppose I'm reluctant to replace it, but thought I should ask.. Anticipating more expenditure :roll:

The fact your asking the question means you deep down know the answer.

Buy a new lid and don't play the lottery on your safety.

I went down and just scratched the lid that I had for only 6 months. Now a display lid and two lids later

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm never sure how much of a know is too much of a knock... Had mine resting on the seat while I fuelled up yesterday and managed to have a major twat moment culminating in it hitting the forecourt floor was a nice loud bang. New helmet time? Please? :lol:

Can't afford one right now but I'm always looking for an excuse to get some new bits of kit. Ruddy fashion victim right here :lol:

No need to replace if they fall on the floor with no head inside. The foam inside won't have had any weight pressing against it to cause it to compress.... Although you are freekishly tall so if it fell off your head it probably would have wiped out humanity like the meteor that killed off the dinosaurs.

No need to replace if they fall on the floor with no head inside.
CURSES I'll just have to find another excuse to spend money.

Although you are freekishly tall so if it fell off your head it probably would have wiped out humanity like the meteor that killed off the dinosaurs.
Sounds possible, we'll have to check with Stu if that was how it went down :mrgreen:

77197609_ForumDadThen.jpg.fa3cffac1a339c37f969e2ac9a702b78.jpg

If its a very expensive helmet and a small crack it can be repaired using a epoxy resin. It works just as well as if it were new, I have used it before on my graphic helmet and barely notice it was even there.

If its a very expensive helmet and a small crack it can be repaired using a epoxy resin. It works just as well as if it were new, I have used it before on my graphic helmet and barely notice it was even there.

Are you serious!

Have you tested the strength of a helmet that's had had this sort of repair to back your theory up?

This is the most idiotic thing I have read for a long time!

Are you serious? :shock:

Do a search and read the articles I have posted here regarding helmets and dropping them

Edited by TC1474

If you're going to continue to make sh*t up, please don't make up crap that puts people in danger. A helmet is designed to only take ONE whack, and that's the internals too which you can't patch up, not just the hard outer shell.

If you even touch your helmet with certain adhesives it can damage it beyond repair and make it totally unsafe for use.

Yeah that's friggin' nuts :shock:

Hint: if you hit your head hard enough to crack the helmet, you've got your moneys worth regardless of how much the helmet cost - no amount of money will fix a debilitating head injury so that's pretty good economy right there.

I won't even bother with epoxy. Chewing gum should be fine.

DISCLAIMER THIS IS SARCASM. BUY A NEW HELMET BECAUSE YOU ALREADY KNOW THAT IS THE CORRECT THING TO DO BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT A MORON

..... This explains SO MUCH!

I've always been a fan of homeopathic repairs myself: take one speck of whatever surface you dropped the helmet onto, place carefully into one Olympic swimming-pool of water then, using a spray gun, take a sample from the pool and lightly mist the diluted solution around the damaged area of the helmet. 0% of the time, it works every time.

lol seriously.

A small crack i never said anything about internal damage only the outer shell. And yes I have tested it, I use epoxy all the time on many things, People do not have to take the idea,some people do it thats all. Only because you dont agree with it does not make it wrong. Of course if it is more than a SMALL CRACK like I stated it is worth buying another one obviously.