Replacing helmet

If a helmet has had a big enough knock to cause a small crack then its screwed!

The integrity of the helmet is compromised

Please tell us how you have "tested" it then

He came off his ZX6R, trying to jump onto the gixxer, whilst both were doing 150 MPH on the M6. Missed the jump, bounced the helmet off the motorway but managed to jump back on the CBR.

If a helmet has had a big enough knock to cause a small crack then its screwed!

The integrity of the helmet is compromised

Please tell us how you have "tested" it then

He came off his ZX6R, trying to jump onto the gixxer, whilst both were doing 150 MPH on the M6. Missed the jump, bounced the helmet off the motorway but managed to jump back on the CBR.

The reason he didn't make the jump is that he high-fived an eagle, which had swerved into his course to avoid the lightning bolt which hit his ZX6R and triggered the whole thing in the first place.

It is a matter of assessing the damage, always replace if possible but some people prefer not to. I build tanks using epoxy and epoxy resin that take many hundreds of lbs in cubic pressure it will seal harder than most helmet plastics if i had a spare helmet i no longer want I would show you. I dont care anyway what people think it was only an opinion.

Yeah because thats how tests are made on strength :lol: , but then again at least I have bikes that are capable of doing speed, dont be envious because I can afford many big bikes. im sorry but if you want to be a d*ck about a comment that is a matter of opinion for the sake of it instead of talking like a actual person conversation then well...

It is a matter of assessing the damage, always replace if possible but some people prefer not to. I build tanks using epoxy and epoxy resin that take many hundreds of lbs in cubic pressure it will seal harder than most helmet plastics if i had a spare helmet i no longer want I would show you. I dont care anyway what people think it was only an opinion.

Yeah because thats how tests are made on strength :lol: , but then again at least I have bikes that are capable of doing speed, dont be envious because I can afford many big bikes. im sorry but if you want to be a d*ck about a comment that is a matter of opinion for the sake of it instead of talking like a actual person conversation then well...

The problem was your opinion could end up getting someone killed/disabled.

I think you'd have been fine if you provided some sort of proof.

In all seriousness, what about the polystyrene inside the helmet? That's the first bit too go - I thought the purpose of the outer shell is primarily to hold the inside together enough to absorb what it can of the impact, with other bits failing afterwards, all so that it's your head which fails last of all.

It is a matter of assessing the damage, always replace if possible but some people prefer not to. I build tanks using epoxy and epoxy resin that take many hundreds of lbs in cubic pressure it will seal harder than most helmet plastics.

Now go hit your tanks with a hammer and see what happens.....

It is a matter of assessing the damage,.

The point a lot of people were trying to make is that it is very difficult to assess the internal damage to the styrofoam padding. Whilst it may look OK if the padding has full compressed then if you have another off and smack your head on the now not soft side of the lid it's going to be bad.

Eh :?: :?: :shock: , you're calling it a matter of opinion that a helmet can be used again if you stick some glue on the outside of a crack?

What about the bit inside that is NOT going to absorb that impact in the same way it did the first time?

Its obviously not a permanent fix just enough to get by to get another, i may have been too generous using the word crack so easily in this topic. anyway we are high jacking this thread with this futile conversation.

It's not futile when you're delivering potentially deadly advice, please bear in mind this forum is visited by people who have a wide range of experience - some with no experience of motorbikes at all. They might see what you put and ride around with a dodgy helmet.

Now I have stopped laughing at the comment about an external repair (still makes me chuckle at the stupidity of some people :roll: ) and assuming that the original post is not some sort of wind up, the reality is that as mentioned by others, it is not the outer shell that is the issue, (although I sure as hell would not want to wear a hat with a crack in it) the problem is the styrofoam liner that protects your computer inside the helmet.

The liner is designed to take a once only impact. You may only drop it from a few inches, but that is sufficient to flat spot the liner. I have been at the factory when tested and a small bruising about the size of a hazlenut on the outside can result in a flat spot covering upto 40% of the liner area. The heavier the impact the larger this flat spot will be and therefore the less protection that helmet will afford the wearer.

Now you say it is a matter of opinion, I will tell you it is a matter of fact that a dropped helmet will severely reduce the protective qualities, and I have attended a few accidents in the past where the helmet had a crack pre accident and lets just say I was scraping up grey matter for quite a time and I did not enjoy having to let the next of kin know.

Are you a qualified helmet technician? Of course you aren't because if you were you would not have written such utter rubbish and cr@p and you would also be aware that once you start sripping down and repairing helmets they no longer comply with BS6658-85 or EC22/05 and therefore become illegal.

In a crash situation, even though it may not be yur fault, once it was known that the helmet might have been worn knowing it was iffy, also means that the defence would push for the maximum 25% deduction for contributory negligence in the case of a head injury which could be a substantial figure.

I would suggest that instead of giving opinion (although it is funny :thumb: ) you research your subject before making such comments, unless you like being ridiculed of course :D :thumb:

I actually don't mind to be honest. Yes i maybe should have kept it to myself tbh I dont know why i even posted it (honestly) well partially I do but its complicated. I apologise for the comment ok.

Another myth busted on there too about painting helmets

Another myth? what other myths are there about helmets?

I never said it was another myth about helmets

Just another myth

Question - does anybody have experience of buying an Arai where the shop actually tried out different cheek pads?

I've never known anyone to do this in-store.

Yes

hein gericke that used to be here did it but they did not sell the pads directly you had to order them in they would have spares to use

My new Arai has pads where you can remove a layer of the foam in the cheek pad :)