New bike arriving soon. And now need something to secure it. Are expensive chains really that much better?

Basically I want something to lock it up at night to a ground anchor, and something to take during the day

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Almax.

Their video showing how easy other chains are defeated is an eye opener.

Nothing can defend against a portable grinder though.

heres a thought - if the chain was covered in the same stuff they make Chainsaw trousers from, would it block the grinder in the same way it stalls the chainsaw??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah-FmYnaIWw

Pragmasis or Almax both as good as each other. I've got 2 pragmasis 16mm. I carry a 1mtr with me at all times.

16mm is the minimum needed to prevent the chain being cropped.

However if they use a portable angle grinder it's gone unless the noise attracts some attention and they get chased off. So a 19mm or even 22mm at home would make it even harder and noisier to cut through.

Horrible realism but you want to make your bike harder to nick than the ones parked next to it

Thanks will see what they are selling when I pick the bike up as I'm getting a discount with them.

A discount isn't worth much if it takes less than 60 seconds to rip through your Oxford Products monkey metal.

Thanks will see what they are selling when I pick the bike up as I'm getting a discount with them.

Your money and bike but I'd not bother. They'll be useless.

Only 16mm and above Almax or pragmasis are worth buying. Yes the are expensive but worth it.

Almax.

This is not a true test though!

how many thieves carry a set of croppers that are 4-5 foot long to steal a bike?

with the right tools anything can be broken and as you say a grinder will see off any chain

if someone wants a bike they will take it regardless of security

IMO enough security to see off the opportunist thief is more than enough

If they are prepared to carry around huge croppers or a grinder then its game over for any chain

I would sooner spend the same amount of money on two or more decent ish chains than on just the one

It's a shame bikes with ABS can't retain the pressure in the brakes when the ignition shuts off. That could effectively lock the wheel and make the bike impossible to roll without cutting brake likes which then makes it unridable.

It's a shame bikes with ABS can't retain the pressure in the brakes when the ignition shuts off. That could effectively lock the wheel and make the bike impossible to roll without cutting brake likes which then makes it unridable.

to be honest I wouldn't want the pressure on the seals all the time especially if you lay the bike up for some time although light pressure wouldn't hurt

Almax.

heres a thought - if the chain was covered in the same stuff they make Chainsaw trousers from, would it block the grinder in the same way it stalls the chainsaw??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah-FmYnaIWw

Chainsaw trousers fibres build up between the chain and sprocket and force the chain to tighten to the point it cant turn .

Grinder Wheels are a direct drive method so no way it can build up to create that drag

to be honest I wouldn't want the pressure on the seals all the time especially if you lay the bike up for some time although light pressure wouldn't hurt

Yeah good point.. might be useful when parking for short periods of time though, kind of like a hand brake for bikes!

Will never happen though as manufacturers have little interest in preventing theft as it would reduce sales of replacement bikes.

Yeah good point.. might be useful when parking for short periods of time though, kind of like a hand brake for bikes!

Will never happen though as manufacturers have little interest in preventing theft as it would reduce sales of replacement bikes.

Piaggo three wheelers have a handbrake that's only disabled after the ignition is turned on

Piaggo three wheelers have a handbrake that's only disabled after the ignition is turned on

I hate those things more than words could describe.

I also hear Piaggio screw over garages who do warranty / insurance work on them as they are a pain in the ass for access and Piaggio set insanely low times to do anything and you have to remove everything to get to anything.

Also I hate them and everyone who rides them.

Going back to the brake thing, mine seized the other week and it was a pain to move it anywhere so the theory is good at least :lol:

I think I need one in my life

http://amazingcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Piaggio_the_three_wheeler_turned_into_a_camper_for_a_single_individual.jpg

Although it is probably a bit cold - why didn't they think to make it enclosed?

Also I hate them and everyone who rides them.

You hate these?

http://www.motorindiaonline.in/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/piaggio-LPG-Auto2.jpg

Yes they look like smug bast*rds who would tip the driver more for running over motocyclists

Thanks All.

I have ordered a package deal http://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=Torc1-P16-x.x-SS65

Pragmasis Protector 16mm Chain, Torc Ground Anchor, Squire SS65CS Lock.

Any suggestions for chains and locks to use while out and about.

I'm also considering a BigBoss Alarm disc lock for use at work, just so someone will hear if its being tampered with. Are they worth it?

Thanks.

I bought a xena disk lock alarm. Would go off in the middle of the night without fail. I think most alarmed disk locks are fairly sensetive and easily set off by light wind or rain which gets annoying.

I took the electronics out of mine and just use it as a normal disk lock.

• 3 weeks later...