Honda xr125 2004

Crazy Welsh

Hi awesome bike people. Having real trouble with my Honda xr 125 2004 plate. I know it is a cg engine. I have bought new solenoid, battery, starter motor, rectify, fuses but it still is not starting. When I try to start the bike the new and old solenoid make a clicking noise. Hence I thought it was the solenoid. I have checked the wires and all seem ok. Any ideas? Really losing my rag with the bike now. Been off the road for nearly a month (quite literally ruining my life, lost my job because of it). Please any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Hi, welcome to the forum, firstly have you got a service manual for your bike, and I see you've bought other parts, have you tried bridging the starter solenoid, that should kick over the starter motor, if it does it could be a loose earth wire from battery to solenoid connections :thumb:

Did you test the starter motor before you put it on the bike, if yes then have a look at connections between the starter switch and starter motor,sounds like your getting a drain somewhere have you got a multimeter to test the battery while your trying to start :thumb:

Have not got a multimeter but will ask my biker dad if I can borrow his. Yes tested even though it is new. Will check the connections again. Beginning to get fed up with it now and it is probably something so simple.

Do you have a set of jump leads ?

Try connecting one end of any lead to anywhere on the engine block ie cylinder head that is metal not aluminuim and offers a good connection or if possible to the starter motor housing/bolts .then the end of the same lead to the batteries NEGATIVE terminal . Then try starting the bike . It may have a bad engine to frame earth connection .

You can bet your life its something simple, don't think the neutral switch or the clutch switch should stop the engine turning over, might stop it from firing though, does your bike live outside or garaged, could be a short in the starter switch maybe just a clean of that, but the multimeter will show what state the battery is at when trying to start :thumb:

Do not have jump leads. Bike lives indoors. Had the starter motor apart and cleaned. I bet it is a simple wire faulty . Will ge my bike back in my living room and have another good look over the connections. Thank you guys :cheers:

Just a bit of background check

Did the bike just stop starting one day ?

Or were there some circumstances leading up to it ie rode through deep puddles , been left standing for a period of time . Had some other work done on it prior to the fault appearing? Had any other previous issues?

Just so that myself and im sure Spanners can start to try a make a mental fault finding process based on those fact to help you get going again .

This poor bike was sold to me with lots of issues . Obviously not knowing at the time. New rectify, fuses, battery,starter motor, solenoid and tyres,spark plug and oil change and the usual chain sprockets done. It has been stood for about a week so knew had go charge the battery overnight, just to give it a boost. It bumped started ok but as soon as I switched it off it will not start again. All lights work (new indicators to go on). I want to look after the bike and keep it going well. But the "mechanic" has fecked up some wires. Use to pull the clutch in to start the bike. He has cut the wires and tapes it to the handle bars (extremely annoyed about that) no need for him to do it. But it had been starting ok but not as good. It has come out worse then when it went into the garage to be honest and charged a good few hundred quid for the privilege :hammer: :hammer:

Hi CW, don't see why he done that ,their supposed to be a safety feature, just like the neutral switch, sounds like he just bypassed the clutch switch and made a pigs ear of it could be around that area you could be getting a power drain, what does the bodge up job look like :thumb: