Sticking brakes

bmwdave

Today the brakes stuck on my BMW800GT. 2 weeks out of warranty.

I managed to free them by rocking the bike forward and back, there was an audible click and the bike moved but I could hear the disk rubbing against the pad. I am hoping to take it out tomorrow to see how it feels or is this a bad idea?

Has anyone any ideas on an easy fix, bearing in mind I am mechanically incompetent. Or do I ride it very carefully to work on Monday and leave it at the garage round the corner to get the front end stripped down and brakes cleaned up completely.

sounds like the pads are sintered and the metal bits have seized to the discs

pretty common

riding will not harm anything

I recommend giving them a good wash after a ride in this weather then spray some brake cleaner in to disperse the water to stop them sticking to the discs again

Some bikes I have had used to do this if I washed it then put it away wet

Speak to bmw and see if they will as its only a few days or so out of warranty take a look etc .

Some companies will give a grace period on warranties to ensure customer satisfaction/retention

It wasnt a BMW warranty, I got it second hand with 3 months from the local honda dealer. the bike is a 13 plate with 6k on the clock.

sounds like the pads are sintered and the metal bits have seized to the discs

pretty common

riding will not harm anything

I recommend giving them a good wash after a ride in this weather then spray some brake cleaner in to disperse the water to stop them sticking to the discs again

Some bikes I have had used to do this if I washed it then put it away wet

I've just been looking them up. Halfords do one, WD40 do one says it at Halfords, and theres one called MucOff, among a few others. Any recommendation?

The cheapest brake cleaner you can get

if you go to a local independent place you will get it cheaper

All brake cleaners are a solvent and will just help to disperse the water to help stop the pads sticking

Thanks Stu. Found a MCN guide to servicing your brakes. Thats tomorrow blown then. Wife will be pissed but if I tell her its safety she'll be OK - ish.

Thanks Stu. Found a MCN guide to servicing your brakes. Thats tomorrow blown then. Wife will be pissed but if I tell her its safety she'll be OK - ish.

But tell her if she let you buy the shiny new bike you want, these things wouldn't be necessary... Not entirely true but nice way to convince her you need a new/second toy ;)

I get this on mine, especially if it's been holed for a few days after riding in the wet. The best cure I've found is to ride it.

If they're properly seized on I'd take the calipers apart and give them a clean - it's not complicated and takes me half an hour.

If the wheel still spins reasonably then I'd go for a short ride and use the brakes a few times. You get a little rusting between the pads and disks if it's laid up and using the brakes will rub that off. Just makes sure it's a short ride and check them before going further as if they're really binding it could get worse as they heat up. Also when there's a little rust on the disks it makes the brakes a little sharp initially so don't be too enthusiastic with the lever initially. This paragraph makes it sound iffy but generally it's not. The rust disappears very quickly and they'll be back to normal.

All of my bikes and a couple of cars suffer from sticking brakes after parked up in the damp. I have always been able to just ride off and the next time I brake, it clears the slight corrosion that was the problem.

All of my bikes and a couple of cars suffer from sticking brakes after parked up in the damp. I have always been able to just ride off and the next time I brake, it clears the slight corrosion that was the problem.

This^

It's just damp on the brakes. Nothing to worry about, the brakes will clean themseves off at next use [emoji106]

I got a can of proper brake stuff from the local motor spares shop and gave the brakes a very heavy spraying on the centre stand and could feel the wheels turning easier immediately, they must have been dragging on the brakes a little.