Navigation Apps

Which smartphone (apple) apps do you use when you went some interesting roads?

So far I've used Google maps which is very direct and co-pilot which is don't really get on with, keeps suggesting Motorways

Want some nice routes down to Brighton and other places from London etc but google keeps suggesting direct routes on Dual Carriageways

Or would investing in a standalone GPS unit be better? Ive got a 12v socket so power is not an issue

Or would investing in a standalone GPS unit be better? Ive got a 12v socket so power is not an issue

I'll beat Stu to it and say YES.. THIS.

Ive had a Garmin Zumo 660 for the past 6 years and it was definitely one of my better decisions. (hinting it would make a perfect christmas gift)

There's a relatively new app called Calimoto that is getting some good feedback.

It's specifically for bikers so finds nice twisty routes, or you can specify a 'round trip'.

Currently needs internet access to search but they are working on an offline version.

Only android at the moment but iOS due in March, apparently. I'll keep a look out

Jeez how much for a standalone satnav? I'll stick to my phone for now

Only android at the moment but iOS due in March, apparently. I'll keep a look out

Jeez how much for a standalone satnav? I'll stick to my phone for now

Keep your Android just as a navigation tool? unless its a work phone...

I made this list to apps I have tried, i vaguely try and keep it up to date. I only have android but I guess most will be available on Apple...

When using google I often just set it to a halfway point along my route then give it new destination. I have found the Tomtom app very good, particularly when used in conjunction with my drive which you can down load GPX files from which I think you can put into co pilot.

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/

I bought one of the exceptionally cheap chinese ones, it cost 70 quid if i remember rightly, its a basic device but for what i need it is good enough, after a few more months using it ill post a review in the reviews section, I would recommend it if money is tight but i had a decent garmin several years back and that was amazing and did everything i could need

I'll beat Stu to it and say YES.. THIS.

Ive had a Garmin Zumo 660 for the past 6 years and it was definitely one of my better decisions. (hinting it would make a perfect christmas gift)

:stupid:

I have had a dedicated sat nav for about ten years now! I had a TomTom Rider V1 that lasted 8 years before the mount stopped charging at the time for what I used it for it was more than good enough

But when I get the FJR and I started going further afield with the wife I found I needed to update it!

I now have a Garmin Zumo 590 which is a good sat nav but expensive! I have had a bit of trouble with the battery which the majority of people have had but I have figured out a fix for that and now its as good as it should be although its always on power when on the bike

A dedicated bike sat nav comes with a mount and wiring to go straight to the battery so no risk of bad connections in a 12v socket and no messing with USB plugs etc

I have tried a phone before in the past and it didn't work so well but technology has moved on a lot since then! My phone is just that when out on the bike! I keep it safe in my pocket or top box I wouldn't want to be out and it fall off the bike or get soaked then find its screwed when I need it! like if I ever broke down :?

Although phone is connected to the sat nav via bluetooth if I ever needed to take or make a call with my helmet on :)