Re covering a seat

My GN125 seat cover has a couple of big rips in it. I've got hold of a piece of black leather off an old sofa that's big enough for the job, was thinking of having a go at it.

Is it best to stretch it as tight as possible over the existing cover then simply staple it to the base of the seat, or would it be better to remove the old cover first? Any other tips? I'm not looking for a 100% job, half decent will do.

Cheers.

My GN125 seat cover has a couple of big rips in it. I've got hold of a piece of black leather off an old sofa that's big enough for the job, was thinking of having a go at it.

Is it best to stretch it as tight as possible over the existing cover then simply staple it to the base of the seat, or would it be better to remove the old cover first? Any other tips? I'm not looking for a 100% job, half decent will do.

Cheers.

I do not provide tips for half decent job.

What type of the leather do you have* ? Pictures ? (of the bike seat)

*normal. Will not be good enough answer.

:D

It's difficult to describe the leather, the usual stuff sofas are made of. Fairly low quality, I'd guess? Might vinyl be a better choice? The seat is 'stepped' in that the back half is maybe an inch higher than the front part.

I've had both my bike seats professionally recovered, and having watched the process both times I'd say that although there's a knack to getting the corners neat you should be able to do a decent enough job with a bit of patience. I'd remove the old cover and all the staples, and if the rips in the old cover have let water in you'll want to let the foam dry out before recovering. Pull it nice and tight and then open fire with the staple gun. :thumb: