Yamaha YBR 125 repair question

b7893

Hello guys,

few questions here for anyone in the know, I have a YBR 57 plate and Im having problems starting it up .The electric start when held makes a bit of engine cough then stops everything, making a buzzing noise after that whenever I press it. This has been happening for a few days now so I really want to get to the bottom of it. I think its the battery as the neutral light flickers whenever I press the electric start

Also

2, I've checked the bike and it hasn't got a kick-start, are they easy to fit and will this solve the problem for me? would a Haynes manual cover this?

3, does the motorbike have any space under the seat in terms of tools or anything?

I am a newbie when it comes to bikes so would be greatful for any help and thanks for your time

Sounds like your battery is out of puff.

Ideally you would check it before replacing it to make sure it's just the battery and not the charging system. If you've got access to a charger and a multi meter then we can talk you through it.

If you've got the original handbook then it should mention the battery - otherwise it'll be in a Haynes manual. Failing that, there are quite a few YBR owners on here.

Kick-starts aren't really something you can retrofit unfortunately so you're stuck with sorting your battery! :-)

Sounds like your battery is out of puff.

Ideally you would check it before replacing it to make sure it's just the battery and not the charging system. If you've got access to a charger and a multi meter then we can talk you through it.

If you've got the original handbook then it should mention the battery - otherwise it'll be in a Haynes manual. Failing that, there are quite a few YBR owners on here.

Kick-starts aren't really something you can retrofit unfortunately so you're stuck with sorting your battery! :-)

Ah pity, id seen a lot of kick-start levers for sale for this model, was wondering where it would go though and do these bikes have a Yamaha specific battery or will any one do? again thanks for your help friend

You need a battery the right size and output for your bike. I think a YTX7L-BS is the right type for your bike.

You should check it's correct for the exact year and model and you can get any brand so long as the part number is the same.

Wemoto has a good part finder and their prices are pretty good.

You need a battery the right size and output for your bike. I think a YTX7L-BS is the right type for your bike.

You should check it's correct for the exact year and model and you can get any brand so long as the part number is the same.

Wemoto has a good part finder and their prices are pretty good.

excellent, going to get right onto it, I couldn't just ask you one last thing? wemoto has a kickstart lever for sale for my model, would it not be able to fitted since It doesn't have one at the moment?

If you have a look at where it should be and there's a stubby splined bit sticking out then yes, you could easily fit one on.

If there isn't then probably not.

I'm having a look at my battery/ charging system too, I found this which is pretty useful to narrow down any issues. You'll need a multimeter, set it to 12v DC and probe the terminals of the battery in the conditions on this forum;

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html

It's not specifically for the YBR but I assume the system will be very similar. I need to change my battery but double checking the Reg/Rec first as if that's bust it can wreck a new battery.