Bit of mechanical advised needed

Gaarmstrong318

Hey folks

Need your help guys, I have just discovered the front left fork on my Yamaha XJ6 is weeping, not massively but enough to leave the tube shiny and a ring of oil on the rubber top seal, does anything happen to know what the likely cost of this is going to be???

Thanks in advance

Buy a seal mate for around £5, and it will clean out the rubbish from the seals.

Otherwise, it might need new seals.

Seal Mate? Tell me more please.

Thanks for the info guys, this isn't a job I'm comfortable doing myself so got her booked in, can I ask will the weeping cause any problems with the suspension getting softer and or bending if only the right one is working???

I've not seen any issues or noticed it getting softer

If the seal is just weeping a bit, then the oil loss would take some time before it got to the stage where it would upset the damping on the forks.......The oil running down and onto the front brake is probably the biggest worry..... :shock:

If you want to do it yourself, youtube delboys garage, he does a couple of videos on how to do it. he explains each step thoroughly.

It will save you a decent amount of money.

You could have a go at it yourself and save a fair whack, to do the actual oil seal its a case of removing the forks from the triple clamps, which is fairly easy. Just make sure the bike is properly supported. There are loads of videos on you tube, you don't need any special tools apart from circlip pliers... you just have to take care not to scratch the chrome on the forks...

the parts are cheap and you will save yourself a packet..

Hey guys thanks for the advice I really appreciate it, I'm going to get a place in York to do it for me, as it's getting a service and it's clutch replaced as well as it's about due. I have cleaned off the oil that was on it and it weeps a little each day I use it (I commute on it) but I've got a degreaser to the brake calliper and disk and wrapped a clothed around the fork to hopefully stop any getting down until it goes in next week.

Again thank you for the help

First think to do is work out why it is leaking.

Hopefully its just the seals, worn, perished cracked etc.

But there are 2 other things to check.

1. Are the chrome legs pitted/scratched damaged. Havea good look at them is the best way.

2. Are the bushes inside the legs worn. Check for play by pushing pulling on the top of the lower leg against he chrome leg. You may need to emove the fork brace, mudguard and slacken the wheel spindle to detect any play.

Hopefully its just old seals and new ones will solve the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to TMBF mate.....pop over to the newbies section and introduce yourself to the guys and gals when you can..... 8-)

Have you got any pics of your forks, so we can see why they're different..... 8-)

just dropping into this chat, having just started mine, the 600D model has forks unlike the youtube videos & I have not idea how to get the springs out & the new oil back in

Zzrd ....oooh fun.

I take it they dont have to top adjusters as the e series .. you need to compress the disk in the top of the fork and remove the small circlip

I used to place a socket sitting within the fork top .

And i had a workbench that by slightly compressing the fork i could fit the fork/socket underthe bench top which pressed the disk down enough to remove the clip

And then gently remove the fork bearing in mind there is small pressure on that disk .

Check out zzrinternational.co.uk for handy hints