Fork clunk

My dad had similar on one of his bikes, it turned out to be brake pads rattling over bumpy roads etc.

I thought of that Six...............disconnected the calipers.....hung them on a bungy.....still clunking :(

Obvious really - It is the 'Clunk gizmo' fitted to the bike by a lepracorn (stops them being run over). Remedy is to send me 5 ounces of 24 carat gold and the 'clunk' will vanish overnight. if it does not work, then you get 40% of your gold back.

Deal?

:angel12:

Obvious really - It is the 'Clunk gizmo' fitted to the bike by a lepracorn (stops them being run over). Remedy is to send me 5 ounces of 24 carat gold and the 'clunk' will vanish overnight. if it does not work, then you get 40% of your gold back.

Deal?

:angel12:

Stop the clunking 1st.......then I may consider your offer! :) :D

• 3 years later...

Just wanted to ask on this after searching so not creating a new post,

How much play would you expect from headstock bearings, doing the test of wheel elevated, pull bottom of forks back and forth, and seem to have a very tiny bit of play.. bars move very freely side to side..

but the play is tiny like a click..

Before I get the tools out to adjust just curious if some play normal..

cheers all

I tend to be with @Bender on this (Strewth that`s probably a first lol).

If you can feel the play or hear a clonk or knock it is probably too much, the bars should move freely with the wheel elevated but forward to rear movement shouldn`t be "noticeable" (searching for better term please forgive).

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

I tend to be with @Bender on this (Strewth that`s probably a first lol).

If you can feel the play or hear a clonk or knock it is probably too much, the bars should move freely with the wheel elevated but forward to rear movement shouldn`t be "noticeable" (searching for better term please forgive).

Cheers

Ian

I agree, its a very tiny movement but il get it tightened a little and see if it helps, if not then new bearings it is.

3 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

I agree, its a very tiny movement but il get it tightened a little and see if it helps, if not then new bearings it is.

I think that is sensible as tightening is a feel thing !

Tighten gently and maintain free bar movement. You will feel if you have gone too far and at the same time any notchiness (is there such a word?) in the handlebar movement should become obvious.

If in doubt a set of taper roller head bearings from Wemoto will be dropping on your doormat.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

On 15/08/2021 at 17:54, Ian Frog said:

I think that is sensible as tightening is a feel thing !

Tighten gently and maintain free bar movement. You will feel if you have gone too far and at the same time any notchiness (is there such a word?) in the handlebar movement should become obvious.

If in doubt a set of taper roller head bearings from Wemoto will be dropping on your doormat.

Cheers

Ian

Daft question, but does the c tool that adjust the rear shock also double up as a tool to tighten this too? looks similiar.

13 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

Daft question, but does the c tool that adjust the rear shock also double up as a tool to tighten this too? looks similiar.

It should do yes !

Beware if you are using a C` spanner from a manufacturers toolkit it WILL slip off and you will hurt your knuckles ! Just beware and protect any adjacent paintwork (Don`t ask how I know).

When tightening your new bearings into place go gently and don`t nip up until you are 300% certain they are seated flat (Cleanliness when you remove the old stuff is next to godliness here).

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

It should do yes !

Beware if you are using a C` spanner from a manufacturers toolkit it WILL slip off and you will hurt your knuckles ! Just beware and protect any adjacent paintwork (Don`t ask how I know).

When tightening your new bearings into place go gently and don`t nip up until you are 300% certain they are seated flat (Cleanliness when you remove the old stuff is next to godliness here).

Cheers

Ian

appreciate your advice buddy

• Like 1