GSXR1000R L8 (2018 model)

Matt Strange

I think the first thing i should mention is that at the time of the review I own a K6 GSXR1000, so a lot of my opinion is going to be based on how the two bikes compare. I've ridden several of

the in-between bikes i.e. the K8, L2, L5 and none of them really made me feel I was missing out in any way by owning my K6. And to put it bluntly,neither does the latest incarnation of the

GSXR1000, even the top ‘R’ version I rode.

OK, a slight fib, some things i did like. Especially the suspension, it is just fantastic on our crap roads, better even than the Ohlins ttx/FGRT 214 combo on a Panigale 959 I've ridden. It makes the

bike exceptionally well balanced and apart from a slightly more noticeable weight transfer on the brakes and when flicking through bends, 95% as sharp and enjoyable as the Ducati. High praise

for Suzuki that they can make an IL4 handle like that. The traction control is nice, though i could just retrofit a Bazzaz unit to my bike.

But everything else I could live without.

The biggest thing for me is that It's lacking character, the engine is turbine smooth and all the power increase is right at the top of the rev range from my perception, certainly it didn't

make me think my K6 was any slower low down or through the midrange so for (sensible) road use it is irrelevant. The Euro 4 can probably doesn't help with the overall feel of the bike as I have a

Yoshi can on my bike, but even then my k6 has a lovely induction growl which is seemingly missing from this L8 - I'd have thought a quieter end can would have made it more perceptible if there

was any to be there in the first place.

The L8 looks great in my opinion, I do love the retro 1980s blue/black scheme my tester was painted in, especially the blue wheels and forks. Rather ‘TRON’ like if you remember that film.

The fit/finish of the panels, the paint and fastener quality is definitely higher than my bike too, hard to say what the L8 will look like at 11 years old but i'd wager better than mine if treated in

the same manner. Another plus is that it's more comfortable, bar and peg position especially as I'm long in the body which usually puts a lot of weight on my wrists, and there's a fuel gauge at last too!.

However.

I didn't get on with the blipper very well, it seemed rather glitchy, especially around 4-5k in town. Probably not an issue ragging around a track but it should work fine at those revs. There's a

possible UK recall on this issue a.f.a.i.k.?. The throttle felt a bit spongey and disconnected too, surprisingly it was actually worse in full power mode! Didn't help that it had too much play before

engaging when twisiting it off the stop.

In short, I'd only buy one if I was after an ultimate track weapon. Road use, meh, not special enough for me to change really.

My 'stats' :) : 39 years old, 184cm tall (6 foot, 1/2 inch in old), 100Kg (approx 16.5 stone), 79cm inside leg (31 inches), medium sized hands, size 9 boot.

GSXR1000R stats (as tested): 202PS in line four, 999.8cc. Showa Balance free suspension, quick shift/auto blipper, launch control, two tone TFT screen,

Brembo calipers (Nissin at rear), traction control, adjustable modes for power/throttle response/anti wheelie/ABS and some other stuff I've probably missed or didn't notice.

Tested on a cool, damp, sunny winter day, and the approx temperature 6C. Approx 45 mins of mixed riding/roads etc. The car park where the photos were taken was considerably wetter than most of

the roads, so i got to test it in both wet and dry situations

DSC_2013.thumb.JPG.0f9cbbf1e85a05dcce7ec631223601c4.JPG

DSC_2012.thumb.JPG.ba5b5a9271b621b8deda884c84f0ce31.JPG