Long ride post CBT advice

maxrpg

Hi all

I understand that if holding a provisional and completing CBT you can ride alone but NOT on motorways. My partner and I are hoping to do a long ride one weekend.

My question is can we travel long distances without motorways, example; from Leeds to Manchester? - is it possible with just CBT.

We tried looking at Google Maps and choosing the "avoid motorways" option but we're still unsure if it is possible.

Also any advice on route planning would help.

You can't take a pillion or ride on motorways and you must display "L" plates. Other than that the world is your oyster and you can go wherever the feeling takes you.

Of course it is possible. You can ride from John o groats to lands end on a CBT if you wish.

Stick to the smaller A roads and back roads and don't expect to do more than 100-150 miles in a day and it's fine.

Depends on your definition of can you?

Legally as long as you stay off motorways you can ride as far as you want.

Google avoid motorways is a pure avoid motorways though and whilst keeping you legal may not always be idea as it will happily send you on a multi lane national speed limit dual carriageway which may not be suitable for you or your 125, that said legally nothing stopping you using them as well.

Finally have you done any long distance riding? On a bike fatigue can set in quickly especially depending on weather, I've done medium distance rides where it's been a bit drizzly before and ended up exhausted at the end where same ride in nice weather before had been nothing.

At end of day if asking from legal aspect then you can otherwise it all boils down to you and your capabilities.

Yes. I rode from Surrey to Cornwall and throughout 95% of it we were on purely legal roads, there were some bits where we snuck onto the motorway for about 5 minutes until we could hop off but that happened twice in our 600 mile round trip there and back.

As well as motorways, there are some restricted road you are also not allowed on, such as parts of the A55 in north Wales. It applies motorway regulations, despite not being one, through signs at the start of the slip roads that include prohibiting anyone on L-plates from joining them. But such roads are rare, that is the only one I know of like that.

For route planning, it depends if you are looking for interesting routes or just for avoiding motorways. But I used to just look on a map and make my own, though.

But for most planners remember they will think you are able to do 70mph even when avoiding motorways, so will pick longer routes via dual carriageways that will work out quicker for most traffic but will most likely just take longer on a 125 and be far less interesting to ride.

Not that there is anything wrong with using dual carriageways on 125 if appropriate to your journey. Lorries are restricted to 60 mph on them, and plenty of other drives are happy to do that speed or slower, so you will not be out of place. And personally I think learning to navigate slip roads when you have to pay attention because you cannot just speed passed them is valuable and worthwhile experience.

And I did over 200 mile days trips regularly on my 125, including a 670 mile bank holiday weekend. No problem at all, but I would agree that you should build up to it to see how you both feel riding for a long time.

Also look to include a proper break every two hours in your route planning, ideally with quick breaks planned for every hour. That way you are covered if you need them, but can skip them is not, but at least you have the option. Otherwise it is easy to find yourself needing to stop but there being no where safe to do so.

Personally I would not stop in a lay-by on a busy fast road (60 mph single or 70 mph dual carriageway) unless you really have to because you will need a very big gap to rejoin as a 125 does not have the acceleration to safely get to a safe speed otherwise.

Sure you can do it!

Leeds to Manchester is about 50 miles, which is not a bad distance for first longer ride.

Give yourself plenty of time and allow time to get off for rest - even it's just for a few minutes - every hour so. This will help stop the fatigue setting in.

Wear gear appropriate to the weather; it's one thing being a bit cold or wet when you're on the bike for 20 minutes, but a lot more uncomfortable and distracting when it goes on for an hour.

Plan your route carefully; the ride will be long enough as it is, and you probably won't want to be adding miles to it by wandering around trying to find your way.

Have a great time!

Thanks for the replies we will make sure we plan our route and ensure we have everything we need before we go. Decided to learn some basic bike maintenance first because we don't want to head off on a long trip without a bit more knowledge under our helmets.

Appreciate all the advice :thumb:

Hi all

I understand that if holding a provisional and completing CBT you can ride alone but NOT on motorways. My partner and I are hoping to do a long ride one weekend.

My question is can we travel long distances without motorways, example; from Leeds to Manchester? - is it possible with just CBT.

We tried looking at Google Maps and choosing the "avoid motorways" option but we're still unsure if it is possible.

Also any advice on route planning would help.

If you think Leeds to Manchester is a long ride you have a lot of learning to do :P

Thanks for the replies we will make sure we plan our route and ensure we have everything we need before we go. Decided to learn some basic bike maintenance first because we don't want to head off on a long trip without a bit more knowledge under our helmets.

You keep saying "we". You know you cannot ride together on the bike with L plates? I presume you mean we where you have your own bikes, one or both of which is on L plates.

As for basic maintenance, I would suggest the you tube videos by Tamsen Cooper (who is a forum member) and start with the recent "Spring Motorbike Check" for ten basics checks before you leave. You should make sure you have breakdown recovery for added reassurance.

Or just crack on.

Be reyt :thumb:

Bigger question is..

Are you a dirty Manc or do you live in gods country :lol:

Unless you are literally going up a mountain, you are never going to be too far from help that you need to know what to do yourself before leaving. And if you look after your bike you will be very unlucky if it does have any problems. Obviously it is stuff worth knowing and learning, but it is not a requirement. Breakdown cover can be pretty cheap, and no matter what you learn sometimes you may still need professional help anyway.

It is very easy to overthink it and be daunted by a long ride in the beginning.

So long a your bike is in good condition, and you take care of yourself (suitable clothing and stopping for breaks) you do not need to do or take anything else. Though I would always say take water, and whilst on a CBT to plan a route rather than trust road signs. (Not that I ever went there, but the sign at Junction 1 of the A14 never used to warn that it was the last exit before it becomes a motorway five miles ahead, though it has been changed now.)

If you are worried though the best thing you can do is go out on progressively longer rides.

You keep saying "we". You know you cannot ride together on the bike with L plates? I presume you mean we where you have your own bikes, one or both of which is on L plates.

As for basic maintenance, I would suggest the you tube videos by Tamsen Cooper (who is a forum member) and start with the recent "Spring Motorbike Check" for ten basics checks before you leave. You should make sure you have breakdown recovery for added reassurance.

Yes we have our own bikes :D

My first long ride after my CBT and getting my Yamaha YBR125 was to a friend who lives about 50 miles away. I had to plan it so as to avoid motorways, which is what I would normally use to do the route. I remember the excitement, being quite nervous, the planning and the journey felt huge.

• 9 months later...

My first long ride was Manchester to the lakes on my first gn125, it was scary at the big round abouts, especially if you're in the wrong lane, and then the country lanes were a bit tense. then it was Wales and Scotland a few times down to see my mum in cannock too. Did about 400 miles each way to Scotland, avoiding motorways isn't a big deal really, just takes longer and once you're out on the long a roads it's way better than motorways anyway. You just gotta get out there and do it!