YBR 125 speedometer issues.

Phill

I have noticed today that the speedo is reading less than the actual speed and the needle tends to wobble at low speeds under 30mph, and after 50 mph it doesn't wobble anymore but it feels as im doing a higher speed than the one which is showing.

Usually at ~5000 rpm in 5th gear i'm having about 40mph and now the speedo reads 35 mph at the same rpm range, which is odd, what could be the problem? I don't want to have my speedo under-reading and getting nicked for speeding in 20-30mph zones :lol: :lol:

The clutch doesn't slip, i'm pretty sure about that, when i give it the beans it pulls well, no slipping.

I have one. i will try it tomorrow. The thing is that the bike over-reads anyways and now it seems to under-read. I will stick the phone out tomorrow and i will see if the speed is accurate.

If it happens to be a cable driven mechanical speedo then I suspect that the cable may be broken but the two halves are still grinding together and slipping so that you get an erratic reading . If it's electronic then try cleaning all the connections before spending any money. I'm not sure what drives electronic speedos so maybe some kind of sensor is faulty.

Edited by fastbob

Or find a village with a sign that tells you your speed and says thank you . They only go up to 99 though. ( Speedy23, remember the one in Barford before they opened the bypass ? )

If it happens to be a cable driven mechanical speedo then I suspect that the cable may be broken but the two halves are still grinding together and slipping so that you get an erratic reading . If it's electronic then try cleaning all the connections before spending any money. I'm not sure what drives electronic speedos so maybe some kind of sensor is faulty.

mine it's the mechanical version. I will try the easy fix, starting with the cable... the bike has like 12k miles, i think the cable is done, i'll have a look on ebay.

There is a sign like that in the way to work, it usually says that i'm doing over 30 when the speedo is at ~35 :D.

mine it's the mechanical version. I will try the easy fix, starting with the cable... the bike has like 12k miles, i think the cable is done, i'll have a look on ebay.

There is a sign like that in the way to work, it usually says that i'm doing over 30 when the speedo is at ~35 :D.

Have a look at the cable before you have a look on eBay, if the inner cable is in two pieces It's broken .

Have a look at the cable before you have a look on eBay, if the inner cable is in two pieces It's broken .

Fixed it with a new cable.

The old one was rounded(squared usually) at the ends, so the cable wasn't able to transfer the rotation to the dial properly.

Fixed it with a new cable.

The old one was rounded(squared usually) at the ends, so the cable wasn't able to transfer the rotation to the dial properly.

Oh good , glad you sorted it .