Jerky clutch release

Ricco1

My bike is an '82 Yamaha RS125DX. The clutch release is very jerky. I can still ride the bike but setting off needs loads of concentration to avoid stalling. When I pull the lever in quickly it's smooth and when I release it quickly it's smooth, but obviously can't do this when setting off. I never need to pull the lever in slowly but if I do this it's very jerky, more jerky than when I release it. The cable is only a few months old, it's well lubed.

Any idea what my problem might be?

Remove all the plates and check for warps by laying each one on a very flat surface and trying to insert a feeler gauge beneath it .Do this to both the friction and steel plates Check the manual for acceptable limits . If there's any distortion replace the clutch .

Edited by fastbob

Also clean and check the release mechanism from the, handlebar to the inside of the engine.,

Sounds exactly like the mechanism is sticking - Usually dirt. Strip, clean, rebuild (and while you are at it, check for warped / worn plates as previous reply).

:cheers:

Tick over bang on at 1200 rpm. Tiny bit of clutch drag when the engine is cold but this disappears when it warms up.

Shouldn't be any drag at all on a 125.