CCT or CCT Lifter

Westbeef

Recently got myself slightly confused and hope some of you boffins can clear things up for me.

On the CBR and other Hondas the CamChain Tensioner is known to become faulty after time - this is the part people replace

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CBR600FS2-SPORT-2002/part_60152/

However on here item 3 is listen as the CCT, and item 4 - the one people replace is the CCT Lifter.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/600-MOTO/CBR/2002/CBR600FS2/Engine/CAM-CHAIN-TENSIONER/13MBW2E1/E__0400/1/3007

Are people changing the correct part and not using the correct name, or does item 3 need changing too?

You don't necessarily need to change anything. Just remove it, clean it, flush all oil and crap out, refill with oil, clean oil hole out on engine and refit it with pusher in correct position.

You don't necessarily need to change anything. Just remove it, clean it, flush all oil and crap out, refill with oil, clean oil hole out on engine and refit it with pusher in correct position.

Is it definitely the lifter that’s the problem, and not the tensioner? Can you explain what the lifter does and why it starts to cause a bit of chatter? Just want to understand :)

Item 4 is the actual tensioner. It pushes onto the blade or lifter, item 3 ,to stop the cam chain flapping about and maybe jumping the sprockets. In my experience its the tensioner that fails or is between teeth on the mechanism, allowing chain to rattle more than normal until the tensioner takes up another notch. The blade could wear all the plastic covering away and maybe have the steel part rubbing on the cam chain. The tensioner is replaceable externally and easily. The blade isn't. My experience with them is clean the tensioner and if necesary , allow pusher part to come out another notch. Best solution is to replace with a manual tensioner.

Item 4 is the actual tensioner. It pushes onto the blade or lifter, item 3 ,to stop the cam chain flapping about and maybe jumping the sprockets. In my experience its the tensioner that fails or is between teeth on the mechanism, allowing chain to rattle more than normal until the tensioner takes up another notch. The blade could wear all the plastic covering away and maybe have the steel part rubbing on the cam chain. The tensioner is replaceable externally and easily. The blade isn't. My experience with them is clean the tensioner and if necesary , allow pusher part to come out another notch. Best solution is to replace with a manual tensioner.

Thanks it’s confusing naming and that makes sense now :).