WIRING / LOOM REBUILD...

thevoyager

Hey, my bike is now complete, lokoing to get it in for MOT within the week, but the LOOM is bugging me.... We stripped it back and took loads of unused wires off, rebandaged it, then chopped some more, tucked some here, forced some here and you get the picture, now left with a load big chunk of a loom, it's ok, but feel it could be better... not confident it's water tight.

I don't think I am confident enough to make a new on my own, I know I'd start it, think I was doing well then relaise I have made major mistakes...

It's a fairly simple loom I think, if you know what you are doing.

I found one company online who was looking to charge £900 / £1200 for a loom build, that seems overly expencive! Are there any more reasonable people/companies out there? How long should it take? 1 full day?

Any reccomendations in the Yorkshire / Cheshire area? I have put a lot of effort into my bike, shame to ruin it by this.

I re made a loom for my car just pinned it out on a plywood sheet, it's time consuming but worth it at that price.

Yeah, there's a silly voice in my head saying give it a go... little worried if i do and it does not work i've totally screwed up my current one.

This is essentialy what I would have to make. I would get confused on what crosses over what, what relays to what, what splices in to what... No formal electrical training. Going to sleep on it.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2a5jgc5.jpg

The joints are very simple and shown by a black dot. Where the wire crosses another there is no black dot. Looks fairly straightforward, best if you can copy the existing one.

Made a couple in my time - Be sure you get the correct specification (or higher rated) wires. Use 'whipping cord' to hold the wires in the correct positions and lay out on a board (use nails/tacks to position the bends). Don't wrap with 'cheap' insulating tape - There are far better 'looming tapes' which are well worth the extra few pence. Ensure you use the correct crimps or learn to solder. 'Chock block' is no good for joining, nor are 'scotch locks'.

It takes a few days to build a loom properly (and, if you don't want problems later, it is worth taking the time to ensure it is done properly).

By building your own loom, you should easily save 60%+ of the cost of a new replacement.

:cheers:

Ferret's Custom Electrickery . Mobile custom loom builder. Website is down at the moment but the phone number is displayed.

Ferret's Custom Electrickery . Mobile custom loom builder. Website is down at the moment but the phone number is displayed.

minimum of 6 months waiting and quotes on average £1500 to £1800... I could learn to do it in 6 months and save £££. Good chap but way out of my price league, this is for your rich folk.

Might just get it through its MOT for now and rewire in the winter myself!

minimum of 6 months waiting and quotes on average £1500 to £1800... I could learn to do it in 6 months and save £££. Good chap but way out of my price league, this is for your rich folk.

F**k me ! How does he justify that ? Sounds like there is an opening for a competitor .

F**k me ! How does he justify that ? Sounds like there is an opening for a competitor .

I know, £600 a day, not bad eh! I understand there is some work that goes into it but that's just robbery. Says he is booked up for 6 months.