Do i need to take a CBT for a 500CC?

Hi, wonder if someone can help.

I am 21 and today obtained my full A1 licence. I was informed that I would have to take my CBT and A1 test before I could move onto my A2. However my instructors today informed me that wasn't the case (he seemed as confused by it all as I was).

As I have completed my A1 and CBT already, what do I have to do next to pass my A2. Am i able to stick some L plates on a 500cc and practice for a few months before taking my test, or would I have to do another CBT for that required class? (excluding just renting a bike and going down to do my test).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TMBF mate. ....... 8-)

The CBT lasts for 2 years and enables you to ride a 125cc bike on L-Plates.......so it's not specific to any license type, but you do need one before you can take any tests for any category license. 125cc is the max you can ride on L-plates unless you are under instruction with a registered trainer or examiner.....so, no, you can't take a 500 out on the road on your own until you've passed the A2 test.

Congratulations on the pass!

Like Beefy says, no need to do your CBT again, but you can't just stick L plates on a 500cc and ride off into the sunset. To practice on a 500, you have to go out with an instructor. Since the A2 test is exactly the same as the A1 (i.e. two modules: one off-road and one on-road), it should be simply a matter of doing one or two lessons and then the tests.

Hi all, thanks for the responses and sorry for the delay in response, afraid i've been up to my neck with work and only just had time.

After my test my examiner seemed confused by the restrictions and procedures too, but that makes more sense.

Is there any way i'd be able to ride a 500 by myself (e.g L plates) for a few weeks without paying for an instructor and self learn/adjust to a 500 (don't feel I need much time for this) or is that not a sensible thing to do?

...Is there any way i'd be able to ride a 500 by myself (e.g L plates) for a few weeks without paying for an instructor and self learn/adjust to a 500 (don't feel I need much time for this) or is that not a sensible thing to do?

NO. The maximum sized engine you can ride on L-plates is 125cc. You would be breaking the law riding a 500cc bike without an instructor, and you wouldn't have any insurance.

...Is there any way i'd be able to ride a 500 by myself (e.g L plates) for a few weeks without paying for an instructor and self learn/adjust to a 500 (don't feel I need much time for this) or is that not a sensible thing to do?

NO. The maximum sized engine you can ride on L-plates is 125cc. You would be breaking the law riding a 500cc bike without an instructor, and you wouldn't have any insurance.

Brilliant, i'll get looking into it. Thanks alot :)