Hydraulic parts reassembly

Mickly

Just a quick one ( I hope )

Can I use silicone grease to reassemble my Triumph Trophy clutch master cylinder?

I have heard that you should not use an oil based lubricant but don’t know if Silicone grease falls into this category.

Thanks

Can I use silicone grease to reassemble my Triumph Trophy clutch master cylinder?

I have heard that you should not use an oil based lubricant but don’t know if Silicone grease falls into this category.

Thanks

I would use brake fluid in order to avoid the risk of contamination .

Thanks

Thanks, but I haven’t got brake fluid to hand, but do have a pot of silicone grease hence the question. It would only be a smear to fit the slave cylinder seal.

Thanks

Thanks, but I haven’t got brake fluid to hand, but do have a pot of silicone grease hence the question. It would only be a smear to fit the slave cylinder seal.

Might as well wait until you have some brake fluid. I've checked a couple of manuals and I would say that using brake fluid only is pretty much standard practice.

Use red grease, it’s specifically for hydraulic rubber components.

On a master cylinder the piston and seal operate completely immersed in brake fluid so introducing red rubber grease will achieve nothing because it will be washed away and serve only to contaminate the fluid .

wp_ss_20180722_0001.thumb.png.56856874953e925ceb3731ff8e46f604.png

On a master cylinder the piston and seal operate completely immersed in brake fluid so introducing red rubber grease will achieve nothing because it will be washed away and serve only to contaminate the fluid.

That's interesting, which manufacturer is that picture from bob? Just out of interest..

I have a TRX850 with a brake system full of gunge and I'm not sure if the previous owner of the master cylinder ran it on DOT5 or if the clear goop that comes with Brembo rebuild kits is the culprit. Either way, it has clogged up the little return hole a treat.. The lever is solid in warm weather and I can't seem to clear it out :roll:

On a master cylinder the piston and seal operate completely immersed in brake fluid so introducing red rubber grease will achieve nothing because it will be washed away and serve only to contaminate the fluid.

That's interesting, which manufacturer is that picture from bob? Just out of interest..

I have a TRX850 with a brake system full of gunge and I'm not sure if the previous owner of the master cylinder ran it on DOT5 or if the clear goop that comes with Brembo rebuild kits is the culprit. Either way, it has clogged up the little return hole a treat.. The lever is solid in warm weather and I can't seem to clear it out :roll:

That's from an ER5 manual. This is from a GSXR 1100 manual .

WP_20180722_23_05_16_Pro.thumb.jpg.aa8f413c34ec165206006754bc02ab61.jpg

On a master cylinder the piston and seal operate completely immersed in brake fluid so introducing red rubber grease will achieve nothing because it will be washed away and serve only to contaminate the fluid .

I've used red grease on both master and slave cylinders with no problems. You're using a tiny amount just to assemble the components. The advice re. cleaning is exactly what I do, use brake fluid to clean and a smear of red grease to assemble. One tin lasts a lifetime.

I've used red grease on both master and slave cylinders with no problems. You're using a tiny amount just to assemble the components. The advice re. cleaning is exactly what I do, use brake fluid to clean and a smear of red grease to assemble. One tin lasts a lifetime.

I'm not saying that it will cause any problems when used in moderation but just don't think it is necessary.