Honda SS125

On 23/05/2021 at 18:17, Bianco2564 said:

Almost 3 years after starting the restoration of the Honda, I'm nearly there.

Finished the front wheel this afternoon and put it back in.

20210523_165738.jpg

20210523_165802.jpg

Looks great :thumb: 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the SS running sweetly today, New ignition coil ( do not always believe what it says on ebay adverts, these coil leads aren't 520mm long) but they are just about long enough.Reset the float level to stop it flooding.Charged the battery and took it for a road test around the block.I was a bit tentative as its the first time I've ever respoked any wheels but was all ok.

The rear tyre had lost all its pressure so will have to take a look at that, either the Chinese tubes have sh1t themselves already or I've nipped the tube fitting the tyre.Yes I did grind the ends of the spokes down.

It's next trip out will hopefully be to the Founders Day rally at Stanford Hall in July, covid allowing of course.

20210616_162006.jpg

19 hours ago, Bianco2564 said:

Got the SS running sweetly today, New ignition coil ( do not always believe what it says on ebay adverts, these coil leads aren't 520mm long) but they are just about long enough.Reset the float level to stop it flooding.Charged the battery and took it for a road test around the block.I was a bit tentative as its the first time I've ever respoked any wheels but was all ok.

The rear tyre had lost all its pressure so will have to take a look at that, either the Chinese tubes have sh1t themselves already or I've nipped the tube fitting the tyre.Yes I did grind the ends of the spokes down.

It's next trip out will hopefully be to the Founders Day rally at Stanford Hall in July, covid allowing of course.

20210616_162006.jpg

VJMC Rally July???????

@linuxrob The VJMC main rally is members only I think , I let my membership lapse, it was either VJMC or TMBF who i suscribed to and I felt like I got more out of this forum.

Fired it up again yesterday to show #1grandson and it went first kick, he even commented on how well it started. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Changed the fake chrome painted points cover for a nice shiny aluminium one.

Also replaced the LH spark plug cap for a longer angled version due to the new coil leads being too short for the original ones to click on properly.

20210702_170920.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

You should be proud of your work looks amazing !

Thanks.

There are a few bits I want to tackle although ok for now.

I had the tank, mudguards and headlight housing painted over 20 years ago, they are starting to show their age in a few places.

The original rear shocks were totally shot and I can't find any new so had to go for something that was the right dimensions, however I don't think they look right. The original are shrouded on the top half and should be painted red.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

While having a sort out in the loft I found all the handbooks, manuals and other literature I've got about it.

Magazine is a test carried out in 1968.

Also found the rather nifty leather goggles the previous owner gave me.

20211019_114149.jpg

2021-10-19 14.09.50.jpg

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 04/08/2018 at 19:19, Bianco2564 said:

Finally after 20 years of ownership and 18 since its been on the road,I decided to do something with the Honda.

So moved it out from under the bench and started to strip it.

Within an hour tank,seat,rear mudguard,exhausts and engine were out,can't believe how simple it is.

Plan to get the rest stripped out to get the bare frame and swingarm painted.

Jobs to do;

Source new exhausts.These are the worst bit as they are very rare and very expensive,looking at £500-1000 for a geniune pair.I will find something suitable to graft on maybe a pair of C50s.

New wheel rims.

Paint frame and swingarm

Paint forks.

Clean up engine and paint side cases

Replace clutch springs and plates.Clutch was slipping last time I rode it.

Replace brake shoes

Replace tyres

20180804_141331-1651x1238.thumb.jpg.f21920917b00dcb285f36910aa563271.jpg

20180804_141324-1651x1238.thumb.jpg.4decbe86edae1871504a69686d51eb61.jpg

20180804_141318-1651x1238.thumb.jpg.44f70d594779771e4db15251a2c8d38b.jpg

i know of a pair of brand new exhausts and a brand new fuel tank and seat if your still looking ? In dorset uk

2 hours ago, bill field said:

i know of a pair of brand new exhausts and a brand new fuel tank and seat if your still looking ? In dorset uk

My tank and seat are ok thanks but might be interested in the exhausts if the price is right.

And welcome.