ER5 Engine Swap / Build

Coming along nicely :thumb:

Decided what you'll be doing with it yet once finished?

Yeah, I'm going to stick it in the ER5 and then sell the older engine. I've already got a buyer who wants it for a GPZ 500 , well bits of it anyway. All is not quite well, I've just found a broken ring and a gummed up ring on one piston so perhaps this was the reason the donor bike came to be broken. Maybe it was a smoker or then again maybe nobody noticed anything wrong. No worries I'll get some new rings and turn it over to a local engine shop for a hone . If they reckon anything is beyond refurbishment there are loads of ER5 barrels and pistons on eBay that can be worked on . Leg alright ?

Just watched a few YouTube videos and now I'm going to buy a set of stones and hone it myself using a drill. I freed the stuck ring and the piston seems ok .

Just watched a few YouTube videos and now I'm going to buy a set of stones and hone it myself using a drill. I freed the stuck ring and the piston seems ok .

Does it actually need a hone?

If there aren't any ridges or what have you then just a little tickle with the stones to "break the glaze" should do.

Does it actually need a hone?

If there aren't any ridges or what have you then just a little tickle with the stones to "break the glaze" should do.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant , just enough to put the cross hatching back .

How do you get things so fabulously clean? :lol:

Hard work combined with elbow grease .

...That sounds great...Is there a quicker, easier way for the terminally lazy?

Dishwasher

I put loads of bits of my ER5 in it, came out nice and clean but did have to wash all the grit out after :lol:

How do you get things so fabulously clean? :lol:

Hard work combined with elbow grease .

...That sounds great...Is there a quicker, easier way for the terminally lazy?

Not really, the jointing surfaces have to be carefully stripped of gasket residue without any scratching so I use a wooden scraper and even finger nails . Some of the silver casings have been stripped of remaining paint using Nitromors and then hand polished using Toolstation fine contour sanding pads . Then they have been sprayed with hi temp aluminium paint before being cured in the oven . For everything else I recommend Toolstation Brake Cleaner ,only £2.50 a can so you can afford to spray it around like water AND hard work and elbow grease !

All set for the last push , I've ordered new piston rings , a gasket set and some VHT paint for the crankcase and barrels . I'm off to Machine Mart today to get a Flexi Hone . Hope the paint matches the cylinder head because that's in such good nick that I don't want to strip it .

wp_ss_20180828_0001.thumb.png.240a300c47433f5187f84167c26860c4.png

My can of engine paint arrived today and I couldn't wait to try it out . I have to say that I'm delighted with the result so far .

WP_20180903_19_53_02_Pro.thumb.jpg.8c84c517171d45e4aaef3b208d19aa46.jpg

WP_20180903_19_52_39_Pro.thumb.jpg.57da521929ea852b5c61c868f95fdab0.jpg

That paint looks really good - does it match the original OK?

It's a good enough match to the cylinder head which is the only bit im not bothering to paint because it looks good as it is . I'm going to paint the crank case in the same colour but there isn't really much of it visible when the engine is installed. The valve , clutch and alternator covers have already been painted in high temperature Aluminium for a nice contrast . I've got no idea why I'm going to such trouble over a replacement engine for my second bike but it is enormously satisfying ! By the way, I don't know how this paint will stand up to being on an exposed bike engine, its mainly used on the blocks of car engines .

I'm no painting expert but I'm not sure if I would have painted where the tensioner goes, or the liners.. :scratch:

Nah , not a problem, I can easily rub it off before I fit the gasket and there's only a bit of light over spray on the outside of the liners . I made a cardboard fake head gasket to stop any spray going into the bores which, incidentally , I have given a light hone and achieved the correct cross hatch pattern. I will have to wait a week to see just what the ring gap is on the new piston rings. If it isn't within tolerance I'll be looking for another set of cylinders anyway.

I painted the crank cases this evening, I just couldn't resist fitting the clutch and alternator covers just to see what it looks like. I'm rather pleased with the results. I'm slightly less pleased with this photo, it doesn't quite do it justice.

WP_20180906_00_44_41_Pro.thumb.jpg.2f6f1dae848a100ca46273c9c3a1c4b5.jpg

I made a sump gasket this evening, this one was relatively easy being composed of straight lines . To do the holes I made a punch tool by sharpening the inside edge of a locating dowel using a Dremel . I wonder if you can download gasket patterns from the internet ?

WP_20180906_22_35_42_Pro.thumb.jpg.de3dab4ed67752ba2351b33569bbbc76.jpg

I still haven't got the pistons in but I couldn't resist sticking the top end on ( not bolted up obviously ) just to see what it looks like. I think the original paint on the cylinder head , although a bit lighter, blends in well .

2108441478_WP_20180908_00_41_08_Pro(4).thumb.jpg.624dc0cf52c4bb3e1b0dd6f72a857b20.jpg

On the weekend I popped all the valves out and lapped them to the seats . I found a little bit of rust inside two of the valve seats but not on any of the faces . I got my new piston rings today and the first thing I did was measure all the end gaps . To my relief they are all at the small end of acceptable limits , brilliant ! Final assembly tonight then . Please don't let me f**k up !

How do you hold the gasket paper in place while you are profiling it?

I’ve been looking at the price of some of the Gaskets I need for the Trophy and it’s made my wallet quiver.