Changing my oil, do I need a stand thingy

Muttly

I dunno about yours, but mines designed to be changed on the side stand.

I would MASSIVELY overfill the oil if i did it on the side stand :lol:

Well the level is designed to be checked upright, but the draining is done on the side stand. I guess at the very least he needs a second set of eyes to check the level :).

If I get a stand what sort of stand do I get? Front wheel stand? Rear? Both? Sorry I really am an idiot when it comes to mechaniccing, promise I have competence in other aspects of life :-)

Hello, i’m Ready to change the oil on my bike, I do not have a centre stand. Do I need to buy a device/stand thing or can I manage without?

You don't need a stand to drain the oil , start with the bike on the side stand then just hold the bike upright for a minute to get the last bit out . Don't forget to move the container though. To fill it just buy a measuring jug and simply pour the correct amount back in . Simple. Top Tips , spread out lots of news paper, do not do the job in a strong wind ( oil is lighter than water and blows around ) make sure you know where the cat is and get one of those magnet thingys for when you drop the sump plug into hot oil . Have fun .

Not if you used a measuring jug . 😉

If I get a stand what sort of stand do I get? Front wheel stand? Rear? Both? Sorry I really am an idiot when it comes to mechaniccing, promise I have competence in other aspects of life :-)

Spend your money on oil .

Not if you used a measuring jug . 😉

pft with your fancy ideas and logic

Spend your money on oil .

I don't think having a rear paddock stand could hurt? It'd make chain maintenance easier :thumb:

A paddock stand is a great idea but the original question was about whether one was needed to perform an oil change. On a small , lightweight bike such as this , you can easily change the oil without one .

I recently reviewed a belting little stand which is the vast sum of £42 on Amazon. The Olypma 500kg scissor lift. You don't need one but it certainly makes life much easier and it's more user friendly than a rear paddock stand.

If I need both wheels off the ground I lift the bike on the scissor lift them which then locks the bike upright in a good solid manner, then it's a doddle to use a front paddock stand.

It also makes checking the oil level dead easy as the bike is held totally level.

For the money it's a useful bit of kit.

I recently reviewed a belting little stand which is the vast sum of £42 on Amazon. The Olypma 500kg scissor lift. You don't need one but it certainly makes life much easier and it's more user friendly than a rear paddock stand.

If I need both wheels off the ground I lift the bike on the scissor lift them which then locks the bike upright in a good solid manner, then it's a doddle to use a front paddock stand.

It also makes checking the oil level dead easy as the bike is held totally level.

Could come in useful when I come to do my engine swap ! How is it spelt ? All I can find are mobile service platforms .

Could come in useful when I come to do my engine swap ! How is it spelt ? All I can find are mobile service platforms .

Oypla 500kg motorcycle lift.

Thanks everyone. That lift looks good but for now I have gone for paddock stand things. Just waiting for my Haynes to arrive and the stands so I can change the oil. Feeling rather excited to do something like this for myself.