Changing my oil, do I need a stand thingy

Muttly

linked braking system which applies a little front brake when you operate the rear brake but not vice versa.

That's backwards!!

Depends on the bike.... On Guzzis, they had a splitter in the rear brake circuit which meant the pedal operated the rear and front L/H disc.... it was bloody great when you got used to it...

linked braking system which applies a little front brake when you operate the rear brake but not vice versa.

That's backwards!!

I was writing from memory, perhaps I wasn't paying attention, maybe its the other way round.

Rear brake applies front break too. Front brake only applies front brake.

Be very careful on slippery surfaces.

Usually the rear brake is used by it's self at slow speed when its a bit slippery to prevent the front wheel slipping away. With brakes linked rear to front, you can't not use the front brake so you always risk the front washing out.