additional light wiring on Suzuki Marauder 125

MagicMerlin

Hi Guys , when I purchased my bike the guy had installed a couple of what I would call running light, either side of the headlamp. These were old and knacked and have never worked . Today I decided to change them thinking this should be an easy fix sadly not so.

Ok the wiring from the lamps feed back into the headlamp, Right side pink and yellow, pink wired in to the lamp shell, so assuming that's the neutral.

Left side Black and yellow ( not connected) .

Traced all four back to the battery area (once again not connected). The two yellow are joined together . Pink and Black separated.

I ran a continuity checker on all cables Getting a buz on the yellow when connected at either end but nothing on the other two. As the pink was connected to the shell of the lamp on the right, I am assuming that the black is the neutral for the left lamp. and the two yellow being live? (On mains electric it is mainly the neutral that runs through the switch). So I am assuming that Pink an black to earth and the 2 yellow to live on the battery ? I have not tried it yet as worried that if I am wrong I might cause a problem with the bike . any advice gratefully received .

I can see your logic but to be honest it sounds like a bit of bodgery and clearly there's something wrong with the pink and black wires if there's no continuity - plus you have to ask why the wiring to one side seems to have been disconnected.

I wouldn't trust wiring that's been added like that. I'd remove it and start from scratch.

Hi Guys , when I purchased my bike the guy had installed a couple of what I would call running light, either side of the headlamp. These were old and knacked and have never worked . Today I decided to change them thinking this should be an easy fix sadly not so.

Ok the wiring from the lamps feed back into the headlamp, Right side pink and yellow, pink wired in to the lamp shell, so assuming that's the neutral.

Left side Black and yellow ( not connected) .

Traced all four back to the battery area (once again not connected). The two yellow are joined together . Pink and Black separated.

I ran a continuity checker on all cables Getting a buz on the yellow when connected at either end but nothing on the other two. As the pink was connected to the shell of the lamp on the right, I am assuming that the black is the neutral for the left lamp. and the two yellow being live? (On mains electric it is mainly the neutral that runs through the switch). So I am assuming that Pink an black to earth and the 2 yellow to live on the battery ? I have not tried it yet as worried that if I am wrong I might cause a problem with the bike . any advice gratefully received .

1. There is no "neutral" on an automotive system - there is "earth" and "live".

2. Going by conventional logic, and IF the lights were supplied as a set, I would have said the 2 yellows were more likely to be earths.

3. Are the lights coventional incandescent bulbs, or are they LEDS? If they are bulbs, then easy to check polarity of wires with continuity tester. The central contact in the bulb holder should go to live.

4. As GOG has said, replace wires, take live feeds to battery through relay and use tap off existing H/L (depending what you want) wire as switched feed to relay.

5. Or chuck the lot in the bin. :D