New speed cameras

Liveware Problem

I've noticed in the past few months a lot of the speed cameras that look like this:

article-2428873-0073B46300000258-821_634x387.thumb.jpg.a5acce28425561d450d9d2ebb3315837.jpg

Are being replaced with these:

1699428005_SpeedCamera-2(2).jpg.gallery.thumb.jpg.5812c625c232459e687258f654e5c7ed.jpg

Does anyone know why?

2 key differences I noted:

The new ones are not reflective, so much harder to see at night.

They have moved them so they are further away from the road, hidden behind other street furniture/trees etc. so they are harder to spot (this is the case with all the ones I've seen)

Interesting how there is money for upgrading cameras but not resurfacing the roads :roll:

more modern technology to catch more speeders. GATSOs are being replaced. All the motorway ones are being replaced with cameras that can cater for the variable speed limits, not to mention all the average speed cameras. Best not to speed as they are clearly more than a safety device.

I imagine the rate we're going there will be a new system where you can just pay £500 and dodge the points. The government will say this is increasing safety as no one wants to be stung with a £500 even to dodge points, no doubt while sipping Champagne from Waitrose that cost £39.99 while putting an expense form in for £65.

When speed cameras were starting to become more common, I used to dodge the routes with any on. Not because I was intending on speeding, but because I don't trust the cameras or the people who run them. I have always been fully aware that they're only true purpose is for revenue generating.

Then there were rumours that the Government were going to reduce the amount of cameras, but then more started appearing. Then more, and more, and more.

Now you can't go anywhere without having to spend more time worrying about where that needle is pointing than where your front wheel is at.

The motorway cameras are replaced with the new HADECS cameras that are configured at the click of a button from the local control room, and they're everywhere.

There is literally zero point in owning any vehicle that can exceed 70mph in this country.

Speed is only a factor in most collisions, and most incidents seem to be through distracted driving, or more bluntly; using a mobile phone whilst driving. Every other driver is at it, clipping in and out of their lanes. If the authorities and government actually gave one fudge brownie about safety then they would target these offenses, instead of making easy pickings off speed detection.

Speed is only a factor in most collisions

It always makes me laugh when they say that on the telly. "Speed was a factor in the collision..." Well of course it f*cking well was: if they hadn't been moving they wouldn't have crashed! :lol:

When I did my speed awareness course last year we got the usual old tosh about speed traps not being 'traps' at all, and that they are only there to prevent speeding and not to generate easy cash from soft targets.

But then you see this sort of thing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/warning-drivers-speed-cameras-could-12736933

So, flashing oncoming motorists to warn them of a [strikeout]speed trap[/strikeout] safety camera could see you fall foul of Section 89 of the Police Act 1997, which states that it is an offence to “wilfully obstruct a constable in the execution of his/her duty.” Since flashing oncoming motorists is the universally recognised warning of a [strikeout]speed trap[/strikeout] safety camera and invariably has the effect of slowing people down, and - as we are constantly reminded - they are only sited in accident black spots, I wonder what duty it is they think is being obstructed by flashing people? Ensuring that they drive through such areas at a sensible speed, or raising easy cash?

:scratch:

What's annoying is that cameras are supposed to be visible, and these new digital cameras seem to have been designed to be less so.

Otherwise how can you explain hiding them further away from the road (there's one close to me that is now literally impossible to see until you've passed it) and removing the reflective coating from the back?

I just can't see that will make roads safer, to have people constantly scanning for cameras/looking at their speedo.

The motorway cameras are replaced with the new HADECS cameras that are configured at the click of a button from the local control room, and they're everywhere.

Is this why I have to sift through two "50mph Average Speed Zones" due to the motorways being upgraded to "Smart Motorways"????

Is this why I have to sift through two "50mph Average Speed Zones" due to the motorways being upgraded to "Smart Motorways"????

Yes, that is literally the main reason why virtually every single inch of motorway is caked in cones and road "works" forever, as far as I know.

They are all slowly being taken over by "smart" motorways that are designed with cash in mind.

Those new cameras a bloody bright when they go off, so there's no mistaking when you get snapped.

I was riding down the M4 near Bristol and just so happened to glance to the opposite carriageway just as someone triggered one of them. Then that Manfred Mann tune started playing... What was it called?

Still amazes me that they aren't all systematically vandalised.

Would be easy to ensure they cost more to repair than they generated in revenue but the Brits are too nice and don't do things like that.

Yes, that is literally the main reason why virtually every single inch of motorway is caked in cones and road "works" forever, as far as I know.

They are all slowly being taken over by "smart" motorways that are designed with cash in mind.

Those new cameras a bloody bright when they go off, so there's no mistaking when you get snapped.

I was riding down the M4 near Bristol and just so happened to glance to the opposite carriageway just as someone triggered one of them. Then that Manfred Mann tune started playing... What was it called?

There's one each way between almondsbury and cribbs junctions. If you are coming up the almondsbury slip going south onto the M4, the northbound one is dead opposite and leaves you blind if you are lucky enough for someone to trigger it.

Wasn't there a phase were people put expanding foam inside them?

And tyre necklaces / thermite / angle grinders

Trouble is with digital ones is that the images have already been recorded remotely, so I suppose people will have to find out where the offices are and then use tyre necklaces / thermite / angle grinders.

I don't think cameras will be an issue for too much longer.

Once self-driving cars become mainstream, there will be no need because naturally a robot will be unable to exceed the speed limit.

Soon after that motorbikes will be banned, as obviously you can't have people riding on the same roads as automated vehicles, recipe for disaster.

So people who enjoy driving will be limited to track days, if we're lucky.

A bit of road near me was recentky resurfaced (properly with tarmac and everything!!)

There's a speed camera on that bit of road. There's a little sign with a picture of s camera and 30 underneath it.

All the repeater signs say 30.

The numpties painted a lovely big 20 on the nice new tarmac :lol:

It was quickly (badly) fixed to say 30 a day later :lol:

There's one each way between almondsbury and cribbs junctions. If you are coming up the almondsbury slip going south onto the M4, the northbound one is dead opposite and leaves you blind if you are lucky enough for someone to trigger it.

I was living in Bristol when these got installed and I had a friend who worked in the Speed Enforcement Unit (not an officer, he just did paperwork) and they "tested" the camera's in their first week and didn't fine people. He said the amount that would have been made in fines was ridiculous!!

I hate them!

People just drive fast, then slam their brakes on at the camera point, and then speed off again. No flow or consistency in the driving speed, which I think creates issues in itself!

People just drive fast, then slam their brakes on at the camera point, and then speed off again. No flow or consistency in the driving speed, which I think creates issues in itself!

That's probably one of the justifications for average speed cameras.

Personally, I don't have much of a problem with them on commuter routes where steady flow = me getting home on time.

I'll not be happy if they creep on to the fun roads mind...

I'd also quite like a self driving car for my commute - 1/2 hour extra doze on the way to work? Yes please!

That's probably one of the justifications for average speed cameras.

Personally, I don't have much of a problem with them on commuter routes where steady flow = me getting home on time.

I'll not be happy if they creep on to the fun roads mind...

I'd also quite like a self driving car for my commute - 1/2 hour extra doze on the way to work? Yes please!

Agreed about the justification for average speed cameras.

But once the technology is proven they won't just stop with motorways, or commuting.

I reckon in another generation people will regard those who enjoy driving the way we regard people that still refuse to wear seatbelts, I.e. dinosaurs! After all, its just so dangerous and selfish..

The fun and joy element has well and truly departed from driving and riding in most of the UK.

Not saying that you have to be "speeding" to have fun - not at all.

I mean that there's too much threat of punishment for simply using the roads, too many restrictions and boundaries, too many idiots, too many cameras, too many vultures at the top trying to get into your pocket.

Once upon a time in the UK, you could jump on your bike and just go out and enjoy the ride.

Definitely time to start thinking about jumping ship. With everything else going wrong here, the speed cameras covering every inch, mixed with the shockingly low standard of driving, is the last straw.

Netherlands have some nice roads, I hear.

Here is an off-the-wall suggestion.

Don't speed, and you won't get fined.

It is that simple.

Speed cameras are only income generators because so many folk are in such a rush to get places that they go as fast as they dare/can everywhere.

Here is an off-the-wall suggestion.

Don't speed, and you won't get fined.

It is that simple.

Speed cameras are only income generators because so many folk are in such a rush to get places that they go as fast as they dare/can everywhere.

I've never been fined.

However I think if you NEVER speed you are probably in a very small minority of road users.

In over 10 years of driving I don't actively keep an eye out for speed cameras, and I have never been fined either. Most cameras will only capture you if you are going quiet a bit above the limit (I can't remember the percentages but 75+ in a 70mph limit, 35+ in a 30mph limit etc). As most speedos read higher than your real speed, staying around 30mph in a 30 limit will not see you get fined. Going 70ish in a 70mph limit will not see you get fined.

People going 10mph+ over the speed limit are simply asking to get fined in my opinion. As for the folk who insist on doing 50mph down the recently reduced to 20mph road near me (for a reasonable reason - there are two, very big schools now on that road), well, they are plain aggressive about it and should be fined a lot more in my opinion.

Not speeding is not hard.