Best chain Lubricant?

Pbassred

Do you actually need to lubricate O-ring and X-ring chains? Do you just need to keep it clean and let the grease held between the O-rings/X-rings do its job? Just wiping a bit of oil or something like ACF50 over the outside of the chain to prevent corrosion?

Discuss....... :popcorn:

No amount of chain lube gets past the o-rings so lubing the chain is all about reducing wear on chain rollers outer surface where they touch the sprockets.

That's why many people in American forums say they use WD40. I think because basically they have cleaned the chain and the thin film of residue is enough in dry conditions to reduce the wear a little.

The unfortunate truth is that chain lubricant gathers road grime and accelerates wear. There are three possible solutions.

Leave the chain unlubricated, the chain is dry and dirt falls off it.

Over lubricate the chain so that grime is washed off.

Fully enclose the chain so that road grime cannot get anywhere near the chain. My learner Bike was an MZ ETZ 125 and it was fitted with a completely enclosed chain. There was no chain wear in the years I used it and commuted every day on it.

An enclosed chain does not look as attractive as an exposed chain so many riders prefer the shitload of work an exposed chain demands.

Some claim that a fully enclosed chain guard will make it more difficult to maintain and adjust the chain. To that I say that's total bullcrap it makes it easier, my MZ chain required no maintenance or adjustment at all so you can shove that idea. :D

Leaving the chain unlubricated is NOT an option and it is irresponsible to suggest that it is . Please bear in mind that people with zero experience and occasionally no common sense browse this forum seeking advice . I am also puzzled as to why enclosing the chain has been suggested. The only bikes I know of , and presumably there are others , are MZ ( no longer made ) and CG 125s . So are you suggesting that we start hacking up bits of pipe and welding brackets to swinging arms ? Sounds bloody dangerous to me . As for over lubricating the chain , why waste chain lube ? What's wrong with cleaning and lubricating the chain on a regular basis . Little and often seems like a better strategy and it works for me .

What's wrong with cleaning and lubricating the chain on a regular basis

It's a pain in the arse for one!

I wonder how long a sprocket with Teflon liners on the teeth would last...

What's wrong with cleaning and lubricating the chain on a regular basis

It's a pain in the arse for one!

I wonder how long a sprocket with Teflon liners on the teeth would last...

When you've paid £120 for a chain surely its no hardship to look after it .

WP_20160423_01_19_06_Pro.thumb.jpg.3238e0340d9d44de10b0093b7bf45a3e.jpg

WP_20160423_16_06_15_Pro.thumb.jpg.dc4e99470a5ab0a8b1db30dfda640274.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Any oil I have lying around. At the moment I've got an old bottle of scotoiler oil that I got with a bike that had a scotoiler that I quickly threw in the bin. When that's not handy I'll use engine oil, gear oil... pretty much anything. Apply with a paint brush and wipe off with a rag.

My bike lives outside and gets used all year round in a heavily gritted area ( I am next to priority roads that get gritted regularly). I have found Muck Off endurance lube lasts the longest and stops the chain rusting.

Most of today’s products are good as long you clean your chain often and lube it. Lately I used Motul chain lube paste and it’s ok

https://www.24mx.co.uk/motul-c5-chain-paste-150ml?gclid=CjwKCAjwpeXeBRA6EiwAyoJPKgbO__3JhEuL6xjPG8-s322o80ncQ0xIZvOThv7pkXAnTKBo46_fmBoC69IQAvD_BwE

As well if using spray bottle, I got greaseninja, it’s good, prevents wasting and applys grease whet it need to.

https://www.greaseninja.com/

Most important is to clean the chain before every greasing, Greasing over the old dirty grease is contra productive.

I do it every 500-600 miles but I ride mostly on dry roads, if driving on wet or in the winter with grit and salt than much often every 300-400 miles.

I am not sure how effective Scott oilers are and similar products, would like to here some experiences , how long chain will last.

Anyway using scottoiler doesn’t mean you are free from cleaning the chain, good clean Fromm time to time is essential for chain life.

I have an X-ring chain, I clean it using paraffin from a 5l tub from the BBQ section of the local supermarket then wipe off the excess. The chain and sprockets aren't supposed to be wet.

We'll that's a new one .http://www.sprocketsunlimited.com/Chainmaintenance.html

I have an X-ring chain, I clean it using paraffin from a 5l tub from the BBQ section of the local supermarket then wipe off the excess. The chain and sprockets aren't supposed to be wet.

I've never heard of that before. http://www.sprocketsunlimited.com/Chainmaintenance.html

Here they say do not use wd40, internet is full of various tests where o rings and x rings were immersed in wd40, for months and no damage observed, so who is laying

I've always bought DID X ring Gold chains . I lube the chain with Wurth dry lube every 200 miles and clean the chain with paraffin every 1000 miles. I very rarely need to adjust the chain and when I do it's usually when the chain and sprockets are reaching the end of their life. I normally get beteeen 25 and 35 thousand miles from a chain.

In the past I've fitted a durallumin Renthal rear sprocket which helps extend chain life and looks good too.

If the objective is to lubricate the contact faces between chain rollers and the sprockets, how many revolutions of the wheel does it take before your freshly lubed chain has squeezed out the lube applied?

Not many i'll bet.

This is where a scottolier pays off, a constant supply of fresh oil.

Here they say do not use wd40, internet is full of various tests where o rings and x rings were immersed in wd40, for months and no damage observed, so who is laying

Correct, do not use WD40 , you require a lubricant and not a water dispersant. ( WD ) The internet is full of lots of things including angels , aliens , ancient giants and talking cats . You do what you believe to be right and good luck to you . Meanwhile I'll keep my chain smothered in good quality chain lube . 😁

Correct, do not use WD40 , you require a lubricant and not a water dispersant. ( WD ) The internet is full of lots of things including angels , aliens , ancient giants and talking cats . You do what you believe to be right and good luck to you . Meanwhile I'll keep my chain smothered in good quality chain lube . 😁

I was thinking about using wd40 for cleaning purpose before applying lubricant, not using wd40 as lubricant

If you want you wheels and swingarm covered in oil, go ahead, the whole point of lubricating a chain is down to if there is any indication of stiffness in the links (The only time i ever use lubricant, usually high viscosity gear oil ). It is nothing to do with metal on metal contract between the rollers and the sprocket teeth.

I've done over 6K on my GSXR1000 including three tracks days, I've adjusted the chain once about 500 miles ago. I keep it clean, not smothered in lube which probably flies/burns off after ten minutes of riding.

I was thinking about using wd40 for cleaning purpose before applying lubricant, not using wd40 as lubricant

Yeah, I do pretty much the same. 👍🏻