I am going to be leaving my bike for approx 3 months without it being ridden, any advice would be gratefully received. It is going to be under cover away from the elements but what else do people advise I do? Disconnect the battery?

Thanks

I am going to be leaving my bike for approx 3 months without it being ridden, any advice would be gratefully received. It is going to be under cover away from the elements but what else do people advise I do? Disconnect the battery?

Thanks

Send me the keys. I will look after it for you. :twisted:

I'm not sure what age an n/a bike is but if it is old enough to have carbs its worth draining them. If its fuel injected you have nothing to worry about :thumb:

.....apart from gummed up injectors. Go on, ask me how I know...... :(

.....apart from gummed up injectors. Go on, ask me how I know...... :(

unlucky!! :(

I'll edit my advice to 'you should be ok if you have injectors but maybe not, Its all in the hands of the winter gods who constantly change the rules" :wink:

Some of that seemed helpful, :P

I haven't actually got the bike yet but picking it up sat, it's a fazer.

I am pretty excited so please don't tell me I have bought the wrong bike too much my heart can't take it.

3 months isn't an issue really with the fuel - I've left bikes longer than that with no problems.

Inflate the tyres to the right pressure, jack it up so they're off the ground. Give it a good spray with ACF50. If it's indoors fit a maintenance charger on a time switch set to come on for an hour a day. It it's outdoors either use a solar trickle charger or remove the battery and use a mains charger as above.

Yeah carved bikes I take the tank and seat off to store in the house along with the battery which goes onto a trickle charger (no power in garage) and I drain the carbs. FI bikes I brim the tank and mix I'm stabiliser. Make sure they go away clean also (I coat on ACF). I also raise both wheels to prevent flat spots (centre stand an an axle stand under the fork legs.

Get yourself a battery charger that is designed for bikes, and I think you will find that you can't leave it for a full 3 months without riding there will be plenty of good riding days over winter - crisp air, bright sun, clear roads, and a bike that delivers joy.

In Greece they have a saying, make a plan and god laughs at you. If you plan to not ride this entire winter, god will laugh at you and make you change your mind with temptation. Go get that sausage sandwich and cuppa in a café as far away as humanly possible to reach.

You might need to top the battery up a little before starting up, and a map to get you home depending on the depth and breadth of the temptation.