Pleased as PUNCH?

From Wiki

This expression refers to the Punch and Judy puppet character. Punch's name comes from Polchinello (sometimes spelled Punchinello), an Italian puppet with similar characteristics. In Punch and Judy shows, the grotesque Punch is portrayed as self-satisfied and pleased with his evil actions. "That's the way to do it!"

I would have thought you'd have known that, living near the seaside!

Pleased as PUNCH?

From Wiki

This expression refers to the Punch and Judy puppet character. Punch's name comes from Polchinello (sometimes spelled Punchinello), an Italian puppet with similar characteristics. In Punch and Judy shows, the grotesque Punch is portrayed as self-satisfied and pleased with his evil actions. "That's the way to do it!"

I just couldn't see a reason the perpetrator of domestic violence could have anything to do with a phrase about being pleased. Thought there might be more to it than "as pleased as someone who beats their wife" !?!

Pleased as PUNCH?

From Wiki

I just couldn't see a reason the perpetrator of domestic violence could have anything to do with a phrase about being pleased. Thought there might be more to it than "as pleased as someone who beats their wife" !?!

....think you've just about summed it up. It's a weird old world we live in, isn't it? Hopefully crap like this is becoming a thing of the past, but there's still plenty of mysogeny out there.... :cry: Last thing we need is anything that legitimises or normalises violence against women (or anyone else, for that matter....).

But it shows you how easy it can be to perpetuate these "cultural norms" simply because the original meaning of phrases like this has slipped away into the past.

Pleased as PUNCH?

From Wiki

....think you've just about summed it up. It's a weird old world we live in, isn't it? Hopefully crap like this is becoming a thing of the past, but there's still plenty of mysogeny out there.... :cry: Last thing we need is anything that legitimises or normalises violence against women (or anyone else, for that matter....).

But it shows you how easy it can be to perpetuate these "cultural norms" simply because the original meaning of phrases like this has slipped away into the past.

At least its slipped into ‘what does this mean?’ territory. Raining cats n dogs however :scratch: