The law and lights

I favour a strip light on my back like they have in discos. You can form it into words such as:-

"I am a sucker for Leech the best Solicitor", or "Eat at Joe's"

By this simple means I can be both visible and raise some much needed revenue.

I made some police lights for my push bike a few years ago. You know the ones on the front that flash 3 times on each side. Used high power LEDs and a decade counter chip. They looked awesome :mrgreen:

Can you use flashing cycle lights on a motorcycle?

Some riders are starting to use flashing bicycle lights in addition to their normal dipped beam when they are riding through heavy traffic.

The trouble is that it is illegal under the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 which say that lamps on motor vehicles have to show a steady light, unless it's an indicator, emergency vehicle headlamp, a warning beacon or special warning lamp fitted to a Police vehicle.

I have a pet hate for those bloody flashing lights regardless of what they are on. For our eyes to judge distances from things they need to see them, a flashing light by definition is off, if only briefly. This makes it far more difficult to perceive how far away it is. There is a reason cars/motorbikes have solid lights on the back. The flashing lights on emergency vehicles are to get your attention and warn you that they are coming, they still have the usual lights on at the same time.

I have used these on the bicycle [mention]Slowlycatchymonkey[/mention], they're very versatile and effective

https://fibreflare.com/

I have a couple of these off my old bicycle too, they are brilliant. I had one on each seat stay.

I might look at wiring a rear light into my top along with the usual rear lights. Shouldn't be too difficult to run power upto it.

rather than concerning yourself with the legalities of lights and so on... Flashing or steady and then the complicated ins and outs of connecting these to a modern CANBUS wiring system. Increase your visibility in a different way. Wear gear that has a lot of highly reflective scotch-lite banding. Maybe even add French style stickers to your helmet. Similarly to the back of your panniers. Either those or the stick-on hard plastic red reflectors most auto parts places sell.

If the visibility of the RnineT is a genuine issue then at some time it will be addressed either by BMW or... More likely by one of the many after market accessory makers with a simple "plug and play" solution... Until that happens, I would make myself more visible with the gear I'm wearing or add passive reflectors rather than start messing about with the complicated electrical system or risk falling foul of the law.

Some riders are starting to use flashing bicycle lights in addition to their normal dipped beam when they are riding through heavy traffic.

The trouble is that it is illegal under the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 which say that lamps on motor vehicles have to show a steady light, unless it's an indicator, emergency vehicle headlamp, a warning beacon or special warning lamp fitted to a Police vehicle.

However if you clip or tape the lights to your clothing, then they aren't vehicle-mounted and aren't subject to the lighting regulations...

This is a quote taken from the Motorcylcing news last month

So maybe................if the lights are on you and not attached to the bike, all will be well :thumb:

if you place lights higher up than your manufacturers light ...you run the risk of other road users using that for information ....

ie

how many times have you been caught out by someone braking but because their high level brake light didnt work ?

motorcycle topboxes have a large red reflector around them that a lot of motorists focus on thinking it is a light source and miss the actual tail lights for information

if you have seperate flashing lights will they distract away

Hivis gives all round visual whilst red lights only gives rear .

Flashing white is a recipe for people mistaking your attempts to signify your presence as a signal to continue .

get either a oxford waistcoat or a sam brown style belt .

or hi vis tape on the bike in strategic places ...

I know its a bit of a boring one to read from the beginning but the link is to an LED reflective belt for me to keep in the seat humps and put over the top of clothing when on the motorway or at night.

A post or three later the law is clarified which says so long as its not on the bike but on your bod then go ahead light yourself up like a christmas tree.

I did see these reflective jackets though which I thought were pretty good

https://www.macna.com/product-category/products/visibility-products/

Its worth watching one of the product vids just to see the model posing, Zoolander would be proud.

I know its a bit of a boring one to read from the beginning but the link is to an LED reflective belt for me to keep in the seat humps and put over the top of clothing when on the motorway or at night.

A post or three later the law is clarified which says so long as its not on the bike but on your bod then go ahead light yourself up like a christmas tree.

Its worth watching one of the product vids just to see the model posing, Zoolander would be proud.

I bought a macna night eye jacket from xlmoto but sent it back. I found the fabric very stiff and it poked me in the arms where it creased. I couldn't tell if it would soften over time so didn't take the risk it would be uncomfortable and go unworn.

I bought a macna night eye jacket from xlmoto but sent it back. I found the fabric very stiff and it poked me in the arms where it creased. I couldn't tell if it would soften over time so didn't take the risk it would be uncomfortable and go unworn.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Unlikely to be a purchase for me anyway as it would useless under the snowmobile suits and probably not great sized up to go over the top. New snowmobile suit (if it fits when it arrives from Finland!) has reflective strips on the arms and legs so with a belt as well Ill be illumating the southwest.

Fancy a Proviz backpack sometime though- https://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/

If your approaching someone they'll see your headlight first & highly doubtful they'll see any reflective jacket etc, IMHO brighter LEDs & I mean stupidly bright will make a difference, everything else is (again IMHO) pointless.

I used to do a job requiring hi vis , and I had a hi vis waistcoat that slipped over any jacket and the complete jacket was then hi vis except for the arms.

The material was a thin single thickness fabric that would fold down to a tiny package a few inches by a few inches. I think it would probably fit under a seat although I have never tried it and it might be a bit tight depending on the bike.

They fasten by Velcro so I am not sure how secure it be on a bike at speed. It might be possible to attach other fasteners to make it more secure.

Screwfix sell a range of hi vis jackets and waistcoats so that is where I would begin my search.

This is the page https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/hi-vis/cat850370

They fasten by Velcro so I am not sure how secure it be on a bike at speed. It might be possible to attach other fasteners to make it more secure.

I got so sick of the velcro on the bike school bib giving up on the road and flapping around that I got a heart rate monitor strap and used that to secure it. One less thing to worry about on my test.

I personally would always go for a zip up one

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are confusing legislative requirements of a road vehicle with regard to running lights, with displaying any additional lights.

The problem with cyclists fixing flashing lights was not that they had flashing lights fitted, it was that they only had flashing lights fitted if they had steady lights and additional red flashing lights there would have been no problem. I believe the offence was not displaying a steady red light at the rear.

As long as your vehicle has steady lights approved for the road and passes its mot, than whatever additional lights you wear should have no affect legally, unless they are not red. Even then they may be acceptable, for example amber flashing lights seen from the rear are acceptable, Rear indicators are amber.

White lights displayed at the rear may not be acceptable however. The issue then becomes one of - red lights displayed means a vehicle is moving away from you, and white lights displayed mean the vehicle is moving towards you. Displaying white lights at the rear would then be confusing to following vehicles and may attract unwanted attention from certain uniformed officers.

I personally favour a flashing advertising slogan such as - for Joes Diner - "Eat at Joes". this not only aids being seen but may raise much needed revenue. Thus killing two birds with one stone.

On the other hand you could have a statement on your front "I Heart my Dog" and on your back "I Spade my Cat", thus going for an informative message.

I also thought about additional lights but it might confuse and distract people behind you. Also too much light pollution will make the brake light less visible. I think high or reflective materiel is probably a better option for front and back. Additional side lighting on the bike may be a good option for passing some junction type situations since you may not be in the cars beams to reflect.

I will also be looking into some well placed reflective but not too much, I passed a young lad the other night and his jacket was so reflective It caught my eye but was almost blinding where it had the reverse effect of making me look away. I could see that being a problem for trailing cars spotting a bike slowing down.

On the motorway Friday pm it was clear why reflective strips are so effective. Saw workmen on the hard shoulder waaaaay before I could make out any form.

My best half tells me I was highly visible from some distance away.

He was wearing a new waterproof with reflective strips and the bright parts were eye level not just another brake light somewhere down there. Well worth the effort.