DAS booked for this month

I have my DAS course booked starting in 2 weeks time with my mod1 at end of the month and mod2 second week in November

I have booked the course and tests away from my own town and don’t know the roads well. Will this be a particular disadvantage with mod2?

Also it is a full course but is only 22 hours over 4 days! Does this seem a little light? I am worried that given I’ve only done the CBT this may not get me to test standard. Day 1 is a full day with 125 entirely on the road, day 2 a week later with transition to 650cc bike on the road in the morning then the whole afternoon at the test centre to train/practice for mod1. A few days later I get an hour practice at the test centre before the test. Then a week later I have 5 hours mod2 training in the morning right before the test early afternoon.

This just seems very tight. I would welcome folks opinions. It was a great price, I was impressed with the instructor and I get up 2 resits for each test included if necessary.

Mike

I have booked the course and tests away from my own town and don’t know the roads well. Will this be a particular disadvantage with mod2?

Not necessarily. It'll force you to focus on the roads and signs.

I find I take note of road signs loads more on the bike then whilst in the car and consider what they could mean for me in the very near future.... See if you can do the same as it'll help you out no end even if the road is unfamiliar.

You're overthinking it. It's a normal schedule. I went for full-day lessons on weekends (2 or 3 I think), while I had a 125 I used to use for my commute during the week. But some people do the whole thing in a block, in an intensive 3- or 4- (consecutive) day course with both tests scheduled for the same day, at the end. I think that that sort of stressful arrangement was all the rage among Rossi-wannabes a few years ago (when people were spending more money on bikes). On the other hand, your schedule is relaxed and easygoing, like mine was.

Remember, the test is just there for you to show you can ride the way you've been taught, which is, basically, follow all traffic rules, be safe and visible, don't be a hazard, do all your observations. And you have to do that on a variety of roads over a very short period of time. Nothing special is really required - you've just got to prove that you can do it right. It's not a high standard - mod 1 is a piece of cake, and mod 2 gives you a few minutes on each type of road environment.

The one thing I would be concerned about is the day of the test. When I did my mod 1, I had had limited experience on the instructor's bike, and my posture wasn't fluid or relaxed (all noobs are in the same boat). This meant that I, too, had an hour or so of practice doing maneuvres before my mod 1, which made me feel exhausted, with tension in my arms and shoulders. It didn't affect my performance (I got no minors), but it was physically and mentally taxing, I remember. And I think it was because of all that intensive practice just before showtime. As for the moments before mod 2, they're probably better spent talking and clearing up any questions or issues with your instructor.

Like the car tests the riding tests are pretty straight forward or even simple and designed to demonstrate that you can be safe on the road. The real learning comes after the tests have been passed. As long as one realises that one is not suddenly a Valentino Rossi as soon as one passes the test and take your learning progression at a sensible pace then you’ll be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I had my first day of the DAS course yesterday all day on the 125. I really enjoyed it and the instructor said I did well but he can tell I lack confidence which will come with time.

There were 2 of us with the instructor. We started some slow speed stuff in the car park before heading out into the road. We started in 20 zones practicing procedures for right and left turns. Then onto roundabouts including a spiral one which has a high failure rate. We did a lot of country roads mixing high speed with slow tight corners and we also did dual carriageways. Then we used a blocked of bit of straight road to practice the high speed mod1 parts. Instructor said I nailed them perfectly and at the required speed.

There was part of the ride which I found very unnerving which was riding the country roads in driving rain and gale force wind, and bombing down dual carriage way flat out at 65 mph I felt very vulnerable and exposed in both cases due to the conditions but once it had dried up a bit felt much better. Part of me though why on Earth I’m doing this and I considered not going back for day 2. But ended the day on a high, feeling much more confident.

Finally for the last 30 minutes we got introduced to the big bikes we will use on day2. Suzuki SV650. Initially as we did laps of the car park the Bike felt amazing. Smooth with great brakes and throttle. Really enjoyed riding it. But we then tried figure of 8 and I performed very poorly indeed. Just couldn’t manage it. Instructor said I was going too slow and using too much back brake. This worked great for the 125 but not so for the 650. He said I must be shattered after being on the bike for over 7 hours and we can call it a day.

That put a downer on the day a bit and I’m worried I won’t cope this Saturday on the big bike. I hope he was right and I was just shattered but the carpark is on quite an incline so maybe just a bit too much going on for my first attempt. I would feel much better on flat road. I still feel I would need another 2 or 3 full days training before any tests but I guess most people sitting them would also wish they had more time too. Time will tell

Being tired makes figure 8s impossible. it's a well known fact. You get all tense and look down at the floor and foot will go down every time.

Next time you'll find it easier - now you'll probably still put your foot down a couple times because you're learning - but keep your head up looking where you want to go and it'll soon click :thumb:

It sounds like for a full on day you did well. 7 hours is a long time by any stretch.

Fully expect and accept the peaks and troughs you're going to have. Every time I've felt confident there'll be a little something that creeps in and makes me feel like I'm the world's worst motorcycle rider. Reading lots of stuff on this forum has made me realise this happens to most of us throughout our journey of learning. If you can expect and accept it you'll get through those bits of self-doubt quicker. The thing with riding is that once your confidence gets knocked you habitually do all the wrong things - tense up, get less smooth, stare down at the floor etc. Fun eh :)

The back brake is one that I think I still overuse on slow speed manoeuvres. It'll make the bike stand up and that will play havoc with your turning circle. Hopefully on Saturday you'll reduce your use of it and allow the bike to fall into the turn better.

Edited by SometimesSansEngine

Day 2 of direct access course on SV650 today. Day went really well. Didn’t drop the big bike which is nice. Really enjoyed the bikes power once I got used to it.

Couple of hours doing mod1 practice on some private road space which went well. Then 2 hours road ride in all different types of road. Dual carriageways, lots of country roads, lots of town riding. I did manage to work on counter steering for the country road bends so that helped me lean into the corners better. But instructor says I need a little more practice on these roads

Then 2 hours practice at the test centre. Got a good feel for the area and enjoyed the practice. Also 2 mock tests done with one pass no minors and one fail for hitting the line on uturn (and 1 other minor). It was the first time I had ever hit it and had nailed it ever time up till that point. Practiced it some more and was fine

I managed the right hand circuit much better than left. The left swerve feels unnatural to me. But my speeds were fine and everything went well.

My figure of 8 is my weakest area but instructor said it’s good I just need to be more confident and take it wider if necessary. (He teaches to stay inside the last cone of the slalom so need to take the previous turn wider)

So it’s onto mod 1 test day on Wednesday with an hour practice before. I’m quietly confident but hopefully test nerves dont get better of me. Gulp

Failed mod1 today. All was well until the last exercise (swerve) kicked a cone as didn't swerve enough. It was heavy rain and I guess It just panicked a bit. Examiner was a good guy (chattier than I thought he would be) and I can tell he wanted me to pass. Resit in 2 weeks. Will treat today as a learning tool. I did however feel very comfortable and confident on the road today before the test. It all seems to be coming together and I'm enjoying every minute, which is the whole point I guess :D

• 2 weeks later...

Passed mod1 today with a clean sheet. I was worried 2 weeks off the bike I would be rusty but after 10 minutes of the hour pre-test practice I was back into the swing of it. 51 for the swerve and 58 for the emergency stop.

Mod2 next week. Gulp

Well done!

Mind if I ask how much 22 hours cost? I've been booking 2 hour sessions and it just takes soooo long! 2 2hr lessons to go until Mod 1 It will probably work out at 14hours in total plus the tests. I have a 125 to practice on but I wish that I'd just booked the time and got it done.

Edited by Pbassred

Well done!

Mind if I ask how much 22 hours cost? I've been booking 2 hour sessions and it just takes soooo long! 2 2hr lessons to go until Mod 1 It will probably work out at 14hours in total plus the tests. I have a 125 to practice on but I wish that I'd just booked the time and got it done.

I paid a total of £664.50 - It was £499 for the course, a further £75+£15.50 for test fees and £75 for pass guarantee (which gave further training and accompanied to test centre etc up to 2 resits each test)

Edit: I only need to pay for test fees if I have to resit