Experienced riders opinion needed - which bike?

gatty2k

Looking for experienced riders opinion on a purchase i'm about to make:

There are two Honda CBR 125s for sale at the same dealer.

One has 8000 miles, one owner, full service history, 2016 - decent condition.

The other has 3000 miles, 3 owners, and one service stamp, 2015 - but has cosmetic damage: a one inch crack on the side panel, and on other side the paint work has been stripped off the corner of the fairing (there's about an two inches of black that should be orange paint).

There's next to no difference in price, both come with a 3 month warranty.

Here's a closer look at the damage:

https://video.citnow.com/vtwGrGGfSl4

Do I take the risk on the bike with less miles but with the damage?

Thanks in advance

Personally I would take 8000 miles and known service over 3000, unknown service and viewable damage.

What he said, condition and being looked after is better than lower miles and probably more damage or issues that you don't know about yet

Unanimous then, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Just a final one:

Can you give me sensible questions to ask the fast talking salesman.

I'm going to check the tread on the tyres, but is there anything else I can practically ask/check when I view the bikes tomorrow?

Thanks again.

Unanimous then, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Just a final one:

Can you give me sensible questions to ask the fast talking salesman.

I'm going to check the tread on the tyres, but is there anything else I can practically ask/check when I view the bikes tomorrow?

Thanks again.

Start by inspecting every part of the frame first looking for bends, dings, etc. Then the forks, then all other parts. Ask if any parts have been changed then ask half jokingly if its because it has been dropped - especially if its bar ends, mirrors, levers. Check the brake lines for cracks etc. Sit on it in neutral rock it hard forwards with the front brake on which should confirm that the brakes and the shocks aren't totally broken. Then same with the rear brake. Make sure the bars and wheel is centered etc.

If you get a bad feeling, walk away! Loads more bikes in the sea.

Dunno if it's just the video, but isn't the LH front footrest bent back as well? I would be very wary. I mean, how did the fairing get damaged like that without doing in loads of other parts like mirror, indicator, bar end, etc?