stafford and that area what's it like?

So anyone live in the Stafford sort of area? What's it like as a place to live, bit of a shithole or rather nice? I get the impression like a lot of places there is a lot of development in the area, is that the case? I've been up the peak district way and over to Shropshire but never to Stafford, its proximity to Birmingham and stoke on trent concerns me a bit that it might be on its way to being eaten up in urban sprawl.

My brother went to uni there.

It seemed ok, no real problems to report. If it's being developed that's a good sign as it was a bit lacklustre if I had to describe it.

Usual mix of nicer, and worse areas, but overall seemed quite a quiet place.

It's going to get more popular as a place to live as places like Manchester grow and get better transport links. I think it's already a 20 minute train to Picadilly so good if you commute to the city for work.

Have got a job interview for a job in Stafford. Trying to decide if its an area we might actually want to move to. Our first choice is Suffolk but jobs in my line of work never seem to come up there. Guess I'll see a bit of the town when I go for the interview, but hard to make a judgement on living somewhere like that. Don't want to leave crappy London for somewhere equally crappy but without any of the interest of London.

Don't want to leave crappy London for somewhere equally crappy but without any of the interest of London.

I think you have it the wrong way round.. people usually move to small market towns like Stafford to escape the 'interest' of London. a complete change of pace, quiet life.. with property prices Londoners can only dream of. Stafford isn't bad at all as ancient market towns go.. easy links to both Birmingham to the south and Manchester to the north. Definitely a nice place o base yourself as a Biker.. with the North staffs moors and Derbyshire to the east and Shropshire and Wales to the west and cannock chase on the doorstep.

Don't want to leave crappy London for somewhere equally crappy but without any of the interest of London.

I think you have it the wrong way round.. people usually move to small market towns like Stafford to escape the 'interest' of London. a complete change of pace, quiet life.. with property prices Londoners can only dream of. Stafford isn't bad at all as ancient market towns go.. easy links to both Birmingham to the south and Manchester to the north. Definitely a nice place o base yourself as a Biker.. with the North staffs moors and Derbyshire to the east and Shropshire and Wales to the west and cannock chase on the doorstep.

Different kind of interest. London is for the most part crappy but there are some genuinely interesting places and things to do as well as the 'interest' I definitely want to avoid. We know we trade some of the benefits of London for having more space, peace and quiet etc. and are prepared to do that.

Could very well be a moot point anyway if I don't do well at the interview or get there and find the job and people don't suit me. It's a days leave used up and a few hoops to jump through so trying to sound out some elements a little before committing more time and energy to the process.

Ok get set for a whirlwind tour of the uk.

London is too big and bustling and its all the same miles upon miles of built up conurbation. You wont find anything you want because its too big.

Stafford is parochial and affordable but bugger all is happening there. You wont find anything you want because its not there.

Wales is too open and parochial and you wont find anything you want because they don't want it there.

South west is open and sunny and theres bugger all happening you wont find anything you want because its too difficult to get there and it isn't for tourists anyway so they don't want it.

Yorkshire and the dales is pleasant but parochial and you find anything you want because you cant understand the locals directions to get there

North east is parochial and sunny but you wont find anything you want because they cant afford to have it there

North west is horrible cold wet and miserable but you will find what you want because its the only way they can get people to stay

I would live abroad if I could stomach other people, they all complain too much.

I’m happy to hear your looking for another job, where you are sounds very frustrating.

I know nothing about Stafford so not much help there but I live 40mins away (supposedly 20mins but that’s a google maps joke) from Bristol in a place where not much happens and I think it’s an excellent combination. Quiet where you live but with access to places where stuff happens. You get peace and quiet but also have contact with life so don’t stagnate into a pool of “local village for local people” mentality.

Only thing I’d definitely put on my hit list to check is how long it would take to commute to n from work. Where I live near Bristol is an excellent example of something that looks good on paper- get a bigger house and commute 20mins to Bristol, except lots of people figured this out and the commute is and hour or more in frustrating crawling traffic so 2hrs plus a day spent commuting. I’d check out the routes of the places you’d like to live in rush hour conditions.

I would definitely move to the other side of Banwell bloody high street if I’d checked out rush hour routes!

If I were you I don’t think I could pass up on an opportunity to move to a place with a garage and low insurance premiums.... and another bike :twisted:

[mention]goat[/mention] Have a look at Penkridge it's near Stafford bit less congested, my Brother lives in Stafford near the hospital, very busy, I lived in Kingston upon Thames year ago & it's as busy in Stafford. As Rennie said there are some beautiful villages nearby, Brockton, Houghton ( world famous {sort of} for the village Christmas lights). Not forgetting some fab biker roads on its doorstep. Plus Weston Park, County showground, Alton Towers. I live in Cannock, Staffords poorer cousin but realistic house prices. If you do move up give me a shout for a ride out :thumb:

@goat Have a look at Penkridge it's near Stafford bit less congested, my Brother lives in Stafford near the hospital, very busy, I lived in Kingston upon Thames year ago & it's as busy in Stafford. As Rennie said there are some beautiful villages nearby, Brockton, Houghton ( world famous {sort of} for the village Christmas lights). Not forgetting some fab biker roads on its doorstep. Plus Weston Park, County showground, Alton Towers. I live in Cannock, Staffords poorer cousin but realistic house prices. If you do move up give me a shout for a ride out :thumb:

Fancy meeting up M42 Tamworth services for a ride-out when the weather gets a bit better? Not a bad meeting point for the Midlands contingent. :thumb: And from there, lots of places are possible. ...

Don't think the job will happen. Between being late because of a cancelled train and not giving the best interview I'm not holding my breath.

well if it doesn't then it wasn't meant to be and something better will come along. Maybe somewhere less grim :lol:

Don't think the job will happen. Between being late because of a cancelled train and not giving the best interview I'm not holding my breath.

well if it doesn't then it wasn't meant to be and something better will come along. Maybe somewhere less grim :lol:

Yep that job doing Malteser and expensive rum quality control is just round the corner

Fancy meeting up M42 Tamworth services for a ride-out when the weather gets a bit better? Not a bad meeting point for the Midlands contingent. :thumb: And from there, lots of places are possible. ...

That sounds like a good plan Speedy23, gotta be spring for me bikes wintered as I've got a op to recover from

You may have given the best interview compared to the rest, but Que será, será & I forgot to mention Staffordshire scameravan is truly prolific so you may have dodged a bullet or er a nip shaped bullet