Changing Tyres CG125

Wrighty1991

I have just sprayed the wheels on my CG125 matt black and now need to fit new tyres and inner tubes :shock:

I have bought the below set of tyre levers from eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3PC-Tire-Lever-Tool-Spoon-Motorcycle-Tire-Iron-Changing-2x-Wheel-Rim-Protectors/192647655662?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make it easier? Or not scratch my wheels too much!

loads of videos on YouTube for changing tyres (tires)

There are indeed and that was my first point of call, I have been watching them religiously.

however I just wanted to know if anyone has any first hand tips or tricks.

Yes.... use the rim protectors when you are taking the tyre off. Remove wheel, let air out (just remove valve core) and break the bead with your foot. Once you've got it started should be no problem. Putting the new tyre back on, make sure it's the right way round (arrow) and use plenty of tyre lube on the rim. Size 9 should suffice to get the beads back in the well of the rim then if it is a tubed type put 2 or 3 lbs in to take up the slack in the tube and make sure it isn't nipped between the tyre and the rim. If you've got no tyre lube, washing up liquid will do but bear in mind it's got salt in it. When all looks OK, inflate gently checking for nips etc as you go. You might have to over inflate the tyre to get the beads to seat properly. Take your time - it ain't a race.

Yes.... use the rim protectors when you are taking the tyre off. Remove wheel, let air out (just remove valve core) and break the bead with your foot. Once you've got it started should be no problem. Putting the new tyre back on, make sure it's the right way round (arrow) and use plenty of tyre lube on the rim. Size 9 should suffice to get the beads back in the well of the rim then if it is a tubed type put 2 or 3 lbs in to take up the slack in the tube and make sure it isn't nipped between the tyre and the rim. If you've got no tyre lube, washing up liquid will do but bear in mind it's got salt in it. When all looks OK, inflate gently checking for nips etc as you go. You might have to over inflate the tyre to get the beads to seat properly. Take your time - it ain't a race.

Thats' brilliant thank you :cheers:

I'd have fitted the tyres first , masked them off and then sprayed the wheels. And I wouldn't have used matt black either, it'll be a sod to keep clean . Apologies for being negative, good luck with the rest of your project.

I'd have fitted the tyres first , masked them off and then sprayed the wheels. And I wouldn't have used matt black either, it'll be a sod to keep clean . Apologies for being negative, good luck with the rest of your project.

No worries, it's like with any project you make mistakes and find out things you could do differently next time. That's half the reason I decided to use cg125, as they are cheap and easy to work on. Thanks for the advice.

Just remembered....on the new tyre, there is usually a red or yellow spot at some point on the sidewall - this is the lightest bit on the tyre and it should be mounted next to the heaviest point on the rim - usually (but not always) where the valve core or stem goes. This is to aid balancing the wheel once the new tyre is on.