Need help quickly!!

Hello, I am in need of a motorbike jacket now it’s edging closer to winter, and I am absolutely freezing now! I am looking at Yamaha jackets (would prefer Yamaha label) and I don’t have the money to buy a decent, padded jacket right now. So my question is, is a paddock type coat suitable for riding a bike in cold weather? Has anyone got one? I will post a link to the one I’m looking at:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwijlcXp_qPeAhXFhtUKHeGHAUoYABAXGgJ3cw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESQOD2kzeo3sJIJ0QvJ3BWJgwsx23wK5G5_llkbE_k7HxoXVY779wvd8aFdSG3BIIcTkapFZQsfOGiE33QUeRUMZ8&sig=AOD64_37FlnU_2wMsjQfxEN5_B90z3VNuw&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwih3b7p_qPeAhXJ-6QKHXSJAfwQwg8IaQ&adurl=

Personally, I'd say not.

No mention of armour or waterproofing......or even how well insulated it is. I'd be looking at something more aimed at biking......waterproof, armoured and with a cold weather liner......nothing worse than riding a bike when you are cold and wet..... :wink:

the other option is you get some warm base layers and mid layers to wear under your existing jacket and a good waterproof over your existing jacket. This will cut most of the wind and keep you dry. Its also more flexible so if you head out on a cold morning but it warms up later you can just remove a layer to keep comfortable, plus you can wear them when out and about and not on the bike so you get more value out of the stuff than buying another bike jacket.

[mention]emmajaneg[/mention]

What size you after?

Have n RST leather small size.

Use that with layers underneath n a hoodie over top?

That way you still get the protection.

Drive past Goole a lot so if your interested I will take a couple of pics etc

Just looked at Yamaha clothing for women and as far as I can tell they do not produce a single winter-ready motorcycle jacket for women. So, Im not sure i understand why you are insisting on that brand when they don't even sell what you need.

@emmajaneg

What size you after?

It says 12 on the label

You have laid out your stall and said that you are freezing so address that. Believe me if you start eroding that requirement by insisting that you look good you will suffer.

So-

Thermal underwear

Tee shirt

Some kind of fleece jersey jumper or other warm woollen under jacket

Jacket this can be what you already own, it can have protection but must be weatherproof.

Neck warmer

Balaclava

Wear the lot.

If its warmer dump the thermals and balaclava, if its real cold add an extra tee shirt. The layers must be thin enough to wear under the jacket

If you cant wear the lot then you need a bigger jacket.

A cold journey is misery a cold and wet journey is punitive. I think you have already worked that one out.

It is easy to misjudge and not wear enough, try to take an extra tee shirt with you to throw on for when you haven't dressed warmly enough.

In summer it is easy to look good and be warm and dry, In winter it is a different story, it is very difficult to be warm dry and look good as well so don't try just look after yourself first priority. If you look good that's a bonus.

I understand your reluctance to embrace the Michelin man look but if you want to stay warm and comfortable there’s no way round it. The weather at the moment isn’t that bad, you need to be thinking about how warm you’re going to be when the temperature drops significantly from where we are now or face having to buy more kit in not that many weeks time. It’s a false economy to only buy for right now.

If you gather up all the layers you have and go to J&S accessories they’ll have something. Online they have jackets around the £50 mark or perhaps ask for a bit of assistance from your nearest and dearest in the form of an early Christmas prezzie.

Layering is the key but there’s no substitute for a warm jacket. Waterproofs (eg trousers) are a cheap way of adding an extra layer that makes a significant difference.

Good luck hope you find something decent.

17 year old female who needs warming up??

@Six30 will be along soon to offer his services...

No I’m into gilfs at the moment .... been scouring the local bingo halls this week :thumb:

@emmajaneg

What size you after?

Thank you so much but I’m about a size 16-18 at tops in women’s sizing so I’m not sure, thank you for the thought though :)

Just looked at Yamaha clothing for women and as far as I can tell they do not produce a single winter-ready motorcycle jacket for women. So, Im not sure i understand why you are insisting on that brand when they don't even sell what you need.

Because various sellers have old Yamaha stock. I have just purchased a Yamaha full padded jacket for £53, but it wasn’t brand new. That’s what I was looking for. I understand fully that the new Yamaha stock only included paddock jackets etc

I understand your reluctance to embrace the Michelin man look but if you want to stay warm and comfortable there’s no way round it. The weather at the moment isn’t that bad, you need to be thinking about how warm you’re going to be when the temperature drops significantly from where we are now or face having to buy more kit in not that many weeks time. It’s a false economy to only buy for right now.

If you gather up all the layers you have and go to J&S accessories they’ll have something. Online they have jackets around the £50 mark or perhaps ask for a bit of assistance from your nearest and dearest in the form of an early Christmas prezzie.

Layering is the key but there’s no substitute for a warm jacket. Waterproofs (eg trousers) are a cheap way of adding an extra layer that makes a significant difference.

Good luck hope you find something decent.

Thank you for the help! My boyfriend has bought me a Yamaha YZF R6 jacket from old stock which was £53. Has got shoulder and elbow pads but unfortunately not back support. Still pretty decent for the price though for Yamaha, made very well :)

[mention]emmajaneg[/mention] Glad it’s worked out. If I’ve looked at the right jacket that’s a bargain!

Check out what space you have available ie is there a lining you can slide it under if so you’ll probably be able to fit one of these in for about £14 https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_group/Back+protector/(all;product_price;ASC;0-0;all)/page_0/max_20

Just get some sticky backed Velcro and voila.

Warning sticky back Velcro is no match for the strength of the actual Velcro so if for whatever reason you want to take it out you’ll have to replace some of the Velcro with fresh stuff