Plastic on the exhaust

Slowlycatchymonkey

Ive accidentally melted some plastic onto the exhaust. Forgot I had heated insoles and glove liners plugged in so they unplugged themselves when I got off the bike and because I was at a petrol station didn't step away from the bike- cue dangly wire coating melting onto the exhaust. Idiot.

So Ive had a google and am thinking this is the solution (except they don't sell that particular product in this country), what do you think? Do it or steer clear?

">

Ive accidentally melted some plastic onto the exhaust. Forgot I had heated insoles and glove liners plugged in so they unplugged themselves when I got off the bike and because I was at a petrol station didn't step away from the bike- cue dangly wire coating melting onto the exhaust. Idiot.

So Ive had a google and am thinking this is the solution (except they don't sell that particular product in this country), what do you think? Do it or steer clear?

">

I did this when I dropped a microfibre cloth on the exhaust ( who knew microfibre cloths were made of plastic? - not me!! )

Any way - the way I did it was by taking the worst of it off with wire wool then Autosol and plenty of elbow grease.

If there is no plastic but just the residue ie nothing you can scrap or peel I would try pvc cleaner, but not the kind you get for cleaning window frames and plastic, the kind you clean pipes with before using solvent weld, it's a solvent and should fetch it off, nail polish remover and acetone also, try a small section, clean up with polish afterwards.

">

What is the exhaust - is it chrome or stainless steel? Either way, I would think twice before using wire wool - a very sharp blade (e.g. Swann-Morton - you will be used to these :D ) used in gentle precision mode and autosol probably the way forward......

Breakaway by premier cleaning products it's not abrasive ( smells of oranges) might not do it on burnt plastic but I've used it on adhesives on paintwork & left no marks on the paint, worth a try ?

If it's plastic would cellulose thinners used on a cold exhaust soften it up enough to scrape off?

That would have been my first choice, however before you spend any money why not try good old petrol generously applied with a soft cloth ?

Umm I don’t know what cellulose thinners are? Is that like acetone?

I take it there are no supporters of the oven cleaner method?

You can buy it at an auto paint place. Halfords may sell it in smaller quantities. I buy it by the gallon for spraying classic cars. The thinners for Hammerite paints are similar but expensive. Older cars were sprayed using cellulose based paint so it’s not hard to find. Most auto factors should stock it.