Transitioning from cc125

Hello,

I'm new to the forum having only recently deciding to take the full motorcycle test. I have been riding continuously a honda sh125 scooter for the past 5 years and as my CBT is about to expire I decided to try and complete the full test and finally lose the 'loser' plate from the front and back of my scooter.

I have passed the theory test and have both module 1 and module 2 tests booked in with an additional 2 day for training. To give myself a chance I decided to take the test on an automatic bike which I now know will be on a Honda Integra 750. I went to my local Honda garage to check this bike out and whilst I was expecting a bigger bike than my current scooter I have found it quite large and honestly I've been panicking about the test every since.

I have been extremely nervous when I first started to ride and took me a few months to start feeling comfortable and confident on the road.

What should I expect from riding the larger bike? Does the manuvering (slalom, figure of eight) feel any different?

I'd love to hear from anybody who can put my at my ease.

Many including myself find the bigger bike easier, turns nicer and the weight feels reassuring. Personally I think it's worth the extra effort to learn gears but either way go for it.

Edit:

What he said before me 😁

Hello and welcome!

Question for you,is the ultimate goal a full licence on a geared bike? If so,this seems a very expensive way of doing it(double the cost,as two lots of training/tests etc).

Maybe renew your CBT and ride a geared 125 for a while?

Either way,with a good instructor you'll be fine,I was extremely nervous to begin with,and I'm a middle-aged man!

Good luck.

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. It’s much easier than you would think and bigger bikes are so much more stable. To the extent Id suggest giving a geared bike a go first and then switch to the automatic if it’s too much for you. You’ll have so many more options bike and budget wise if you can manage it. Then again if the thought overwhelms you then stick with the automatic.

Good luck

If you are doing the 2 days of training on the larger bike prior to the MOD 1 and MOD 2 tests then you should get enough experience to handle said bike for the tests. As above most people find the larger bikes are more stable and easier to ride. I have never ridden an automatic but I would think it should be pretty straight forward and you don't have a clutch or the possibility of it stalling to worry about. As the tests and training are all booked go for it and enjoy. You can always go back to do the tests later on manual bike if you ever desire, obviously at extra cost. The Honda bikes with DCT (automatic) are well spoken of so you should be able to get one that suits you.

My advice:get a geared 125 and learn to use a gearbox. Then think about a bigger bike, perhaps A2? Those big DCT Hondas can be a bit.......you will still have to learn how a gearbox works - it's just that there's no clutch. Don't feel that you have to get a really big bike.....if you're not happy, just take it at your own pace. Good luck. :thumb:

If you have already been riding on the road then 80% of the battle is already won. The size and weight is like anything, once you are used to it you won't really notice it and in some cases it will actually make things easier, not harder. Personally I found the slalom and figure of 8 much easier on a bigger bike as they tend to be more stable.

Your biggest enemy for mod 1 is yourself, the manoeuvres themselves are as easy or hard as you make them, I made them hard work and still passed :lol: so don't panic. Overall it's a pretty simple skills test and there is nothing there designed to catch you out. Just make sure you do your checks before you do anything.

With mod 2 don't treat it as a test, treat it as a ride with someone and you will be fine. Again, there is nothing there to catch you out.

TBH I went down the automatic route myself back in dec 2016 I did all my training on a Bergman 400 and test can be hard on an large scooter for different reasons like a larger turning circle and a nasty habit of rolling off the throttle on right turns and scooters aren't as "flickable" as a large bike for the hazard avoidance. I decided at the beginning of this year that it was better and cheaper in the long run to get my full A license on a manual bike as in the year I had the Bergman it was really expensive to get replacement parts new or second hand and once I had my full A license I part exed my burgman in and bought a Suzuki intruder. In total once I got used to riding with gears it was so much nicer. Also like others have said you have alot more choice of bike and if you still want a automatic after you pass then go for it but atleast you'll have a choice with the manual license.

If you're happy to stick to an auto then just enjoy the training and listen to your trainer - he or she will know all the quirks of the machine and how to deal with them.

If you're used to an auto already the Integra is nothing to be afraid of. For sure, it'll be quicker and heavier, but the big plus of the NC platform (which the Integra is derived from) is that the weight's carried really low - they're easy to handle.

A lot of people find the bigger bikes are more stable and are easier to ride....... 8-) Try not to overthink it........and good luck...... 8-)

This! I was a nervous rider as well but a bigger bike despite being heavier and more powerful is actually easier to ride! You'll be ok :)

Thank you all for the replies I really appreciate all the advice.

I have since had to make the decision to postpone my training as the training company called me to bring my mod2 test forward as from next year the Integra 750 is not meeting the size requirement for the full motorbike test. As the timing didn't work for me I decided to take my CBT again in January then over the course of the next months train using a geared bike and if I feel confident with it take the full text on it.

Thanks again for all the advice and good luck wishes. I shall revisit the forum to share my journey.